Clutch Lookbook
Clutch Lookbook
Caitlyn Daley

A & A: The New Wave of Clutch Magazine

I first became aware of Clutch Magazine last semester when I had a class with its Creative Director (CD), Abigail Sikes. When I first met Abigail, I could instantly tell that she is a uniquely cool and abundantly creative person; I was excited to sit behind her for the rest of the semester. Now, as a new staff member of Clutch Magazine, I get to work with Abigail and her best friend, Clutch’s Editor in Chief (EIC), Aryanna Clark. Listening to Abigail talk about Clutch in class, following her and Clutch on Instagram and pushing myself to go interview for a position in Clutch has led me to a publication and group of creatives that I will forever be in awe of.

As the CD and EIC of Clutch magazine, Abigail and Aryanna facilitate a creative space with endless possibilities of expression—something I feel so lucky to be a part of. With issue 31 currently in the works, I interviewed Abi and Ary on their experiences, insights and intentions thus far. After reading this, you’ll have no doubt that each issue of Clutch is “Made with love.”

Her Campus (HC): How would you describe Clutch Magazine to those who are unfamiliar with it? How is Clutch unique in comparison to other student-run publications?

Abigail Sikes (AS): Clutch magazine is a digital and print publication exploring the intersections between lifestyle and fashion—how we live and how we communicate. Clutch is a space for artists, creatives and voices who want to be heard.

Aryanna Clark (AC): Clutch aims to publish things that are more personal and vulnerable than you may see elsewhere. We want to push the boundaries and get to know the people who are working alongside us. Clutch magazine is a safe space. 

HC: As the CD and EIC, what is your vision for Clutch? What do you want it to embody/represent? What do you especially bring to Clutch? How do you work with the rest of the Clutch staff to bring your vision to life?

AS: We strive for diversity and inclusivity in all facets of creation. Our mission is for Clutch magazine to serve as a space where people freely explore the extent of their creativity, to explore the bounds of their art. I want Clutch to be a platform for people to make their ideas come to life. 

AC: I want Clutch to be the chic book on the coffee table that you just so happen to open, then end up reading for hours with tears in your eyes. Something precious and elevated, but also personal. Clutch is a space for everyone and anyone who can create. I make it clear to our staff that although Abigail and I have come up with this concept, they are free to bring any ideas to life. We want to help the amazing people on our team in any way we can. 

HC: Clutch has only recently joined the digital world, launching a new online blog. What has that transition been like? What are your hopes for the blog? How would you promote it to your audience?

AS: Clutch Magazine is relatively new and still a work in progress; although, I am excited to see how it grows moving forward. This digital space is for creating new opportunities and communities. Sharing all thoughts; those that may not be fully formed, new explorations, intimate letters, etc.

AC: Abigail and I thought it was important for there to be an online source for everything Clutch is and will become in the future. With the online platform, we’ve had to introduce entirely new responsibilities for our staff members and teach ourselves how to create and host a website. We want the blog to feel like a public diary. We want to give other creators a platform to promote themselves, writers to publish their work and followers to send submissions. Everything is fair game, as long as you’re writing about something you care about. 

HC: What are your greatest accomplishments and challenges as the CD and EIC?

AS: Seeing everyone’s visions come together. Meeting our staff. The whirlwind of events that take place each semester. It’s all rewarding and challenging in its own way. I am so honored to hold this position with Clutch Magazine, and I feel extremely lucky to work with such incredible individuals like my best friend, Aryanna Clark.

AC: My journey from Art Director to EIC Assistant to current EIC makes me pretty proud. I’ve grown so much as an artist and team member in the last three years. Also, meeting Abigail. Clutch gave me a friend for life. 

The responsibility of managing the whole team has definitely been a challenge and required a huge learning curve. We’re so lucky to have such kind and understanding people on our staff; those who have allowed us to grow into this position and become more effective leaders.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Clutch and being such an integral leader of it?

AS: Clutch is a space where I get to form new ideas and connections; I am honored to work with a team of creatives that make creating this magazine such a memorable, rewarding experience. I am constantly learning and growing thanks to the staff surrounding me. Serving as the Creative Director for Clutch reassures me every day that I am doing what I am meant to do. I am overwhelmed with gratitude and joy when people see what Aryanna and I have worked so hard to create; it’s a feeling I will carry with me forever.

AC: Being able to create things I would not be able to create anywhere else with people who are just as excited as I am. Also, any time someone tells me they like the concept or like what Abigail and I are doing, I tear up a little bit—which is cool. Clutch makes me feel like I’m on the right path and reassures me that I want to do something similar in the future.

HC: What’s a learning experience from your role that you will never forget?

AS: As a chronic people pleaser, I have had to learn to make peace with the fact that it is impossible to accommodate everyone, especially in a creative field.

AC: You can’t please everybody all the time, and that’s okay.

HC: What inside scoop would you like to give the people about the newest upcoming issue of Clutch magazine?

AS: We want everyone viewing this issue to see themselves within it. 

AC: Read this issue alone in your room. Bonus points for playing a Phoebe Bridgers album and journaling afterward. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey everyone! I'm a senior at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale, FL (the 954). You'd most likely catch me eating a bowl of cereal, listening to Kid Cudi and lighting an incense (yes, all at once).