President Thrasher Partially Lifts Greek Life Ban

During a press conference at the Westcott building on FSU’s campus on Monday, President Thrasher announced that he would be partially lifting the Greek life ban. The ban was put into place in early November, after the death of a Pi Kappa Phi pledge, Andrew Coffey. Thrasher had originally stated that “he wanted to send a message” that “we have a serious problem.” Members were prohibited from holding any new member events, tailgates, social events, retreats and participation in Homecoming. A ban on alcohol at any event involving Greek life and Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) events was also put into place. Today, Thrasher lifted some of those sanctions. Greek life members are now allowed to recruit new members as well as participate in philanthropy events. The alcohol ban still remains in place for Greek life and RSOs. “I’ve said all along that in order for there to be real change on campus, students must be part of the solution. Our students are now beginning to fully understand the serious obligation they have to behave responsibly,” Thrasher said. “They have demonstrated this during the past three months and have pledged to continue to do so.”

Courtesy: Florida State University News

FSU officials and higher-ups in Greek life took the time to convene and discuss different changes that could be made in order to ensure members of the Greek community function properly and safely. They took input from alumni, current members and advisers in order to come up with a plan to move forward with hopes to develop a new Greek life. They are going to closely monitor the changes to ensure that they keep what works and change what isn’t beneficial. Hopefully, the FSU Greek life and general student body communities can come together to initiate a change to ensure a tragedy like this never happens again. The new changes can be found below.

Expectations and Values:

• New requirement for a chapter grade-point average of 2.5.
  • A minimum average of 10 documented hours of service per semester per member.
  • Requires students interested in joining a fraternity or sorority complete a special orientation program prior to recruitment so potential members understand expectations.
  • All IFC fraternities will conduct a comprehensive membership review of all members in collaboration with their national organization and advisers to ensure all members can commit to the fraternity’s values, policies and expectations.  

Oversight:

• The launch of a new “Scorecard” available to the public on the university’s website communicating information about each chapter to increase transparency. 
  • A significant modification of the student conduct process to add faculty and staff to student review panels that hear Greek conduct cases.
  • The implementation of new membership dues to help support the hiring of staff who work directly with the Greek system and the addition of new educational programs.
  • A requirement that all chapters have an advisory board with special training.

Risk Reduction:

• A shortened new member period of six weeks for IFC fraternities.
  • Socials with alcohol limited to four during the fall semester and six during the spring semester.
  • Events with alcohol at houses allowed only if the chapter uses third-party vendors, provides food and has police or security officers approved by the FSU Police Department present for the duration of the event.
  • New rules for tailgating events held by Greek organizations.
  • New requirements for members to be trained in hazing prevention and leadership development.
Malorie is a senior double majoring in Media Communications and Criminology. She loves anything pop culture, criminal profiler, animal, or food related. She lives for sarcasm and being witty.
Her Campus at Florida State University.