*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

When I woke up on February 6th, the Internet was abuzz with the news that Beyoncé had released a new track called “Formation.” Being the hardcore Beyoncé fan that I am, the first thing I did was Google her new song.

What I saw and heard brought not only a smile to my face, but tears. Beyoncé had taken the time to make a shout out to her culture, specifically saying that she loved being black. She also spoke on the concept of her daughter’s hair, who rocked a fluffed out afro in her video. Beyoncé, with the one phrase “I like my baby hair, with baby hair and afros” and the scene of her daughter and her fluffed hair, took down the haters who believe that owning your natural hair (especially on a young child) is ugly.

Throughout her video, there were also lines referring to the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and the ongoing strife between cops and the black community. What I loved even more about her song is that this track of being unapologetically black and its references to the hurt that the black community experiences is that it was dropped in the month of February.

Courtesy: Giphy

To tell the truth, when February came along, I didn’t even remember it was Black History Month. I had completely forgotten. To tell the truth, the last time I heard anything about Black History Month was in 7th grade in my law class, where we colored black people who were a part of the judicial system. It seems like as we get older, the less important Black History Month becomes.

I disagree because it is a month of remembrance and a way to help young black kids realize that they too are important. Beyoncé helped bring that idea to the forefront with her song, and I am so grateful for that.

On Feb. 8 during the Super Bowl, I sat in front of the T.V. with my friends cheering on the Broncos. Then, the half-time show began. Beyoncé came out with her group of gals as a representation of empowerment and performed part of her new song “Formation.” We went wild.

By the next morning, Beyoncé was being boycotted by a few who deemed her song anti-police. As a figure in the public eye, with many people scrutinizing her and her family, I don’t think she would ever mean such a thing. In her video, Beyoncé points out a struggle. There is no sign of her saying “no” to the police. Just because Beyoncé raised a question to the police force does not mean she was insinuating she’s anti-police.

I was partly upset to see this song of love turned into this battle, but Beyoncé did something significant—she performed her song during one of the most-watched televised events and let herself be heard. She is being talked about, her song is being played and her love—no matter how misconstrued—is being shared throughout the world.

My name is Zahra. Love the color green and love FSU
Her Campus at Florida State University.