Style > Beauty

Please Use Purple Shampoo, I’m Begging You

As a fake blonde, I live and die by purple shampoo. The last thing I want after spending money on my hair is for it to turn brassy because I didn’t take care of it. Plus, as a busy college student, I definitely don’t get my hair touched up and toned as often as I should. My hairdresser has drilled it so far into my head that if I ever had amnesia, I would still remember to purple shampoo. It doesn’t matter if you paid to be blonde or if you were born that way, this is one staple that will keep your hair looking beautiful.

Purple shampoo is exactly what it sounds like—shampoo with purple pigment. The color that tends to come through the most with blonde hair is yellow and if you’ve ever taken an art class, you know that they are complementary colors. When it comes to art, this means that they contrast when next to each other but when mixed together they create neutral hues. Similarly, when it comes to hair, this color combo neutralizes unwanted yellow-orange hues.

Legally Blonde
MGM Distribution Co.

Now, even though it’s a shampoo, you should not be using it as your every-day Bumble & Bumble. Regular shampoos you rinse out immediately after lathering but purple shampoo needs to sit so the pigments can be deposited. I usually leave mine in for however long it takes me to get through one song of my shower performance but, if you want to set a timer, 2-5 minutes works great! If you leave it in longer than that because you get a little too into your 2000s throwback playlist, I promise you won’t turn into Perrie Edwards circa 2012 (no matter how cute of a look that was).

Purple shampoos should also not be used every day. At most, they should be used once a week in place of your regular shampoo. Make sure you condition afterward too because purple shampoo can sometimes be drying – which would only further damage dyed hair. 

Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 2
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

I know I mentioned at the beginning that this applies to natural blondes too and I’m sure some of you are wondering why since naturally have that beautiful, beachy hair that people are willing to shell out big bucks for (me included). The reason is that the same factors that can cause fake blondes to turn brassy can cause your hair to turn brassy too. Environmental factors like pollution, smoke, and chemicals in your shower water can bring yellow tones to the surface, as well as styling products and tools. Even some medications can have an effect. Adding purple shampoo to your hair care routine will ensure that your hair stays bright and full of life. 

With so many purple shampoos on the market, it can be really hard to decide which is right for you. Every salon professional is going to have a different opinion and so is every blonde. Everyone’s hair is different but some of the tried and true favorites according to Cosmopolitan are Amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo, Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo, Not Your Mother’s Blonde Moment Treatment Shampoo and Lush Daddy-O. In 2020, let’s kiss yellow-orange hair goodbye!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Mikayla is a senior at FSU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Communications. She loves chai lattes, reading books, musicals, and waffles. In her free time you can find her curled up in a cozy blanket, napping, or trying to pet an animal (including the ones she shouldn't.)
Her Campus at Florida State University.