Coming to Florida State University (FSU), I knew Greek life was a large part of the campus culture. But, because I’d never actually considered rushing, I had the fear that I wasn’t going to be able to make friends as easily. Spoiler alert: I had nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, you’ll still hear my friends and me naming off frats like no one’s business. None of my close friends rushed either, but we still interact with Greek life a lot, whether that be events, parties, other friends or just the mere fact that the view from our window is a couple of sorority houses. Anywhere on campus, you’re bound to meet some of the wonderful people that are a part of Greek life.

But, whenever the occasional person asks me if I’m rushing or a part of a sorority, I can’t help but look at them as if the answer isn’t obviously no. But, I guess it’s not quite obvious to a lot of people.

In the United States, fraternities and sororities have been, and still are, predominantly white organizations. The representation of minorities has slowly increased, but we are still highly excluded. Whenever I’ve looked at Greek life, it’s never appealed to me, much of it is because it’s just not my thing. But, much of the reason I was instantly steered away is because I rarely ever see any students of color rushing.

I have a lot of friends apart of Greek life! They represent their chapters gracefully, and I love how proud they are! But, when I scroll through those perfectly crafted Instagrams of these beautiful, confident women, I rarely see someone that looks like me. And I think that’s very important, especially as a young woman, to be surrounded and empowered by all types of women from all backgrounds.

This issue of lack of diversity in Panhellenic has always existed. Consider the history of Greek life. Many frats that formed after the Civil War had a restrictive clause with the requirement that members be “Aryan,” and these formal policies banning non-whites weren’t dissolved until 1954. Yet, Greek organizations still participate in practices of discrimination. Incidents having to do with discrimination and Panhellenic organizations have happened on multiple occasions at FSU just this last school year.

On the contrary, hypothetically, if I did decide to rush, I don’t want a sorority to want me just because I’m Black and they want diversity. Of course, more diversity is great, but I want them to want me for me.

Of course, I can’t speak for all colleges (nor am I just referring to FSU), because I do think it truly depends on other things like location and, of course, the school. And I know plenty of sororities and frats have tons of diversity! But we have a long way to go.

Let me be clear, by NO means am I anti-Greek life. I admire it in the same capacity that I realize it’s just not for me. But, I hope that one day it can be said that the lack of diversity isn’t what is holding someone back from rushing.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

FSU sophomore Public Relations major from Atlanta, Georgia. Lover of all things green or Frank Ocean related. Bonus point for both.