There has been a running gag within my apartment that we need a Wii, and after months of joking about it, we finally invested in one. Since it came out in 2006, it was a little hard to track one down that was both fully functioning and came with all of the cords and accessories. After months of obsessively watching eBay listings, we finally settled on one. This past week, it finally showed up on my doorstep, and I have not regretted the purchase one bit. Actually, I fully believe that everyone should either dig their Wii out of the attic or buy one, and here’s why.

Bonding Time

My roommates and I get along pretty well, but having a Wii has made us spend so much more time together. Despite the fact that we spend most of the time screaming at each other (“Wii Sports Resort” table tennis can get pretty intense) there has been lots of bonding time and new memories. Unlike the Nintendo Switch or PC games, the Wii pretty much requires you to be in the living room with other people. It has been really nice to come home and see my roommates sitting in the living room, as opposed to an empty apartment with everyone’s doors being shut.  

The Games

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the games are so much better on the Wii! There are few things that will never compare to the rush of “Wii Sports” and “Super Mario Galaxy.” While Nintendo has tried re-releasing some of these games on the Switch, almost nothing compares to the horrible 2006 animation of the early Wii games. Admittedly, another big deciding factor in my purchase was that I am an avid Animal Crossing fan. However, “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” has become a little boring, as I do the same thing every day and all of the characters say the same things to me over and over again. I cannot say the same thing about “Animal Crossing: City Folk,” which I genuinely look forward to playing every day. 

It’s a Workout

Although it is a little embarrassing to admit, I have been getting the workout of my life while playing Wii. Through a mix of “Wii Sports” and the Wii balance board games, I have been waking up sore every morning. I am now using muscles I haven’t used in years, and I am having so much fun doing it. It is easy to forget how much jumping around the games require until you are laying on the couch completely out of breath. 

Nostalgia

And finally, I think that the best thing that has come out of my Wii is the nostalgia that I have been hit with. I have been remembering childhood memories that I haven’t thought about in years, and that makes me so happy. I live seven hours away from my parents and I always miss them, but remembering all of the late nights we spent in the living room playing the Wii has been incredibly comforting. In the midst of essays, tests and internship applications, it has been nice to wind down at night with such a lighthearted activity. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Alexandra is a junior at Florida State University. She wishes to pursue a career in editing and publishing!