Where to Eat This Spring Break from a South Florida Native

Spring break is around the corner and golden beaches, sun and palm trees are calling your name. Miami, a Spring Breakers paradise, is full of a plethora of fun activities, lively social scenes, and of course, amazing restaurants. As a SoFlo native who has spent nearly all semester thinking of great food back home, here are my recommendations of places you should check out this spring break if you are visiting Miami!

Starting off with breakfast, the most important meal of the day, my recommendation is Greenstreet Cafe. Located in a historic area of Coconut Grove, this restaurant is not only known for its delicious food but also its great atmosphere. With reasonable pricing and an extensive menu, people of all ages frequent this cafe, some of which include local celebrities and pro athletes. As for the food itself, there is certainly something for everyone. However, my top three recommendations would have to be their Nutella-filled French toast, goat cheese tomato omelet and steak & eggs.

Moving on to lunch, narrowing down all the different types of cuisine Miami has to offer presents a tedious challenge. But you’re on Spring Break in one of the most diverse locations in the U.S., so why limit yourself? For that reason, my next recommendation must be The Citadel. While the building may appear unsuspecting from the outside, it is definitely one of the coolest places in Miami. The interior is made up of many food stands with cuisines ranging from Caribbean to Asian to Italian. If you find yourself indecisive as to what exactly you are craving, The Citadel makes it so that you don’t have to choose. Simply go around to each stand and let yourself have a little bit of everything. You can enjoy your lunch indoors alongside live music, or you could bring your lunch up to the rooftop where you can enjoy the warm South Florida weather. You can also check out the various vintage clothing shops The Citadel has to offer.

While The Citadel is certainly a lunch spot that could meet all your needs, it would be a crime to mention restaurants in Miami and not recommend Blue Collar. Located on Biscayne Blvd, Blue Collar is open daily, serving anything from brunch to dinner. Do not let the size of this tiny restaurant fool you, its menu has some of the best food in all of Miami. I would personally have to recommend the braised pork shoulder, short ribs, conch fritters and butterscotch heath bar bread pudding.

As we move into dinner, there are three restaurants I have decided to recommend.

The first is Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami Beach. With an elegant, yet laid-back vibe, this seafood spot is one of the most iconic restaurants in all of Miami. Loved by locals, celebrities and tourists alike, this restaurant also makes for an interesting people-watching scene.  In terms of food, I would have to recommend ordering the stone crab here as well as the key lime pie. Shockingly enough, although this is a seafood restaurant, I also recommend their fried chicken as it is some of the best I have ever tasted.

Next is Garcia’s, one of the oldest seafood markets in Miami. This restaurant has a casual atmosphere and overlooks the Miami River. It is a great place for a bite to eat after being at the beach or on the go all day. Here, I would have to recommend the whole yellowtail snapper, fried oysters, fish dip and tostones.

Finally, I understand that if you’re visiting Miami, you may want one night to indulge in the glamorous and upscale places the city has to offer. And while there is no shortage of glitzy and expensive restaurants in Miami, which ones are worth their price? My answer would have to be Prime 112 in Miami Beach. While on the pricier side, this steak restaurant has large portions and great tastes to make up for it. I recommend their ribeye, Kobe steak, peppercorn steak and filet mignon.

Overall, no matter where you choose to eat, there are plenty of great options and these are just a few of my favorites. I hope you take advantage of Miami’s diverse local cuisine and enjoy your spring break!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!