When you Google “How do I know if I should transfer colleges?” a list of five telling signs comes up. Now in my second semester of college, at a university nearly 1,000 miles away from home, I can check off all five of these signs.

• You’ve already changed your major.
  • You avoid social activities and interactions on campus.
  • Friends and family have taken notice.
  • Lack of motivation.
  • You feel disappointed with your college experience so far.

It’s disheartening to finally admit to yourself that you need to leave. I remember high school graduation like it was yesterday, and how I was so excited to go to college and start that new chapter in my life. I remember feeling giddy with anticipation of what the future would hold while decorating my grad cap in glittery garnet and gold. At this point, it had never even crossed my mind that I would miss home. I was the girl who insisted on getting the hell out of Dodge and not looking back. I didn’t even apply to any in-state schools because I was certain that I wanted a change of scenery and a blank slate. But, as I would soon discover, this was far from my truth.

I think of making the decision to transfer sort of like a game of baseball. Top of the first inning, that’s your first day of classes as a freshman, and you’ve got zero strikes. Let’s say each semester is an inning and you’ve got one at-bat. If you manage to accumulate three strikes before graduation, you’ve got to get out of there. In this case, strikes are any telling signs or major events that make it clear you aren’t exactly thriving in your current environment.

Apparently, I’m not very good at baseball because I struck out swinging, and it went a little like this:

Strike 1

This one came early when I decided to switch my major not even four weeks into school. One of the reasons I chose the school I did was so that I would be closer to the ocean and environmental phenomena that I could study as an environmental science major. Well, we weren’t even a month in and that plan had been tossed to the wolves.

Strike 2

A hurricane was projected to roll through my college town, and classes were canceled for about a week. This meant most students were advised to go home, and when I heard the news, it felt like Christmas morning. I proceeded to spend most of that week at home on the campus of a different university and enjoyed myself a lot more than I felt I had back at my own school.

Strike 3

I was so miserable that I cried on the phone to persuade my parents to let me leave a week early for Thanksgiving break. I’d rather spend a week thrift shopping with my Grandma and going to bed at 7 p.m. than hanging out with friends and supposed newfound freedom. Huh, might be a sign.

Needless to say, I was in the dugout by the time I headed home for winter break in December. I was so ready to be home that a solo 14-hour drive on I-10 felt like a breeze.

Anyways, my whole point in sharing this is that if you can relate to my experience in any way, or you’re about to start college uncertain of your choice, it’s okay and very normal. One-third of college students will transfer before earning their degree. Of those students, 93 percent are happy with their decision to transfer. I don’t know about you, but I like those odds. Although switching schools is often associated with a negative stigma, it’s easy for me to spin it in a positive light. I’m looking forward to a second chance at finding the place where I belong. Switching schools provides yet another opportunity to meet new people, discover new places, and grow as a person.

My closing words to you are that if you have the ability to, and know in your gut and your heart that you are unhappy and unfulfilled where you are, then you should take the leap. You might discover that there was a hitch in your swing, and once you make that switch, your batting average improves. You’ll find yourself on the way to the major leagues in no time.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us onFacebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube andPinterest!

Hi! My name is Evan Jaynes and I'm a writer for HCTX. I'm excited to explore all sorts of different topics and build my portfolio! I love to read, workout, and eat lots of good food :)