From fashion to reality TV, YouTube video essays take on many topics. Even just finding the right video essay to watch to itch the scratch in your brain is unexplainably satisfactory. Often using pop culture as a reflection of societal hopes and fears, my favorite kinds of video essays are the ones that take things people don’t find very serious (typically more feminine topics) and explain their inherent importance. While some may only be 15 minutes long, others can be as long as an hour or even more. Over my many years of consuming a copious amount of video essays, here are some channels that I think you should watch and some videos to start with.

Mina Le

Mina Le focuses more on fashion and style as a piece of culture that reflects societal ideas, but it sounds more complicated than it is. From the history of the high heel to the “anti-aging” propaganda, Mina Le shows how the way we present ourselves is affected by societal norms and history. My favorite videos from her are “In Defense of the Femme Fatale,” where she explains the trope’s origins, iconic style, and how it’s been modernized and “Why We Wear Impractical Shoes,” where she explains the history of impractical fashion, specifically shoes, and how it plays into status symbols of wealth.

Shanspeare

Shanspear mixes sociology with social media and film to give us a unique look at these topics. Her online name is a play on her name, Shaniya, mixed with Shakespeare. Shanspear uses a more academic structure to her videos, using sources that apply to the topics she’s speaking on. She revels in the performance of her videos with costumes and set designs. Some videos I recommend are “The Crime of Being Basic, The Illusion of Being Unique” and “The Girlbossification of the Horror Genre.” She’s also done some videos on Euphoria that I recommend.

Tiffany Ferg

Tiffany Ferg has a video series called “Internet Analysis” that takes on internet and social media phenomenon, talking about their consequences and also her proposed solutions. She’s talked about family vloggers, fast fashion, van life, and other niche internet phenomenon. Tiffany Ferg typically points out issues like overconsumption, romanticization, and the effects of social media. I recommend her video “The Wedding Industrial Complex” and “The ‘RV Family’ Lifestyle Sounds like a Nightmare…”

Contrapoints

Contrapoints takes on more social and political concepts, but her work is more conversational (talking through multiple perspectives to gather a whole picture). She’s also known for her over-the-top and engaging video production, and her costumes and set designs look to have taken an immense effort to put together. Often after finishing a video from her, instead of having a set idea of what you are supposed to think, it leaves you to ponder on these ideas and how you can interact with them. You aren’t meant to know all the answers, but at least you learn to question how you view things. I recommend you pick a topic you’re interested in if you decide to check out her videos rather than one you’re not, as they tend to be more in-depth and longer than most.

Some honorable mentions are Broey Deschanel’s “Love Island: A Flirtation with Surveillance,” Final Girl Studio’s “The Obsession with Female Rage in Media,” Jordan Theresa’s “Why Are There No More ‘It’ Girls,” and anything from Modern Gurlz.

These video essays show the importance of both the social media we interact with and the media we consume. While they’re not academically sourced, it doesn’t mean you can’t do further research to confirm the information you learned. They usually put into words things I’ve observed but didn’t have the terminology to explain while catering to a niche audience. The girlies are watching video essays!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

There are two things to know about me: I love staying busy and have opinions on everything. I have an insane amount of hobbies like sewing, painting, writing, playing the guitar (not very well), reading, and shopping. My four-year-old cat is named Oberon, although everyone calls him something different. I watch video essays at least an hour long, even if they are on topics I never thought to entertain. I have started three grease fires trying to make popcorn on the stove. I am no longer allowed to make popcorn, for everyone’s safety.