Life > Experiences

Tired of Suwannee? 7 Diverse Restaurants You Need to Try

When I arrived last semester as a timid freshman, I was homesick and yearned for the comfort and familiarity that my hometown gave me. Aside from thrifting, food is another way I connected to my surroundings, allowing me to recognize the beauty and diversity Tallahassee brings to the table. Through the many different cuisines I was exposed to, I learned that five-star Michelin or not, good food is good food. It’s time I share them with the world.

MAYURI INDIAN RESTAURANT

Just before I left for school last fall, I discovered the most amazing Indian restaurant and never thought I could find one as good. But after a day trip with some friends, we stumbled across Mayuri Indian Restaurant, which was absolutely delicious and budget friendly. The photo above depicts a customer favorite: Chicken Vindaloo.

My recommendation: Butter chicken, garlic naan and samoas for an appetizer.

LITTLE MASA

Truth be told, I spent the first few weeks of the fall semester scanning Tallahassee for the best Thai restaurants around when one of the best ones was within walking distance (10 minutes) of me. Little Masa, located in Collegetown near Madison Social and Township, serves the most delectable and creative assortments of sushi and sashimi, custom-made Wok bowls and other favorite Asian dishes like pad thai. Check out the place after an FSU sports game or whenever you’re hungry! I promise it’s worth it.

My recommendation: Krab & cheese wontons, teriyaki fried rice, shrimp tempura roll and a red dragon roll.

GUTHRIE’S CHICKEN

I never thought that I would recommend a fast-food place, but that was until I tried Guthrie’s sauce. Guthrie’s is the ultimate destination, perfect for after a night out or when you’re itching for some crispy chicken tenders. It’s a Raising Cane’s doppelganger as we wait for that Tallahassee location to be built.

My recommendation: Kid box (more than enough) with extra sauce.

UR BOWL

Ur Bowl was the first place I had ever tried ramen and I loved it. Vast and yummy portions are given out, and their bubble tea is phenomenal. If you’ve never tried ramen before or want a restaurant for a girl’s night out, this is the place for you!

My recommendation: Shrimp tempura, enoki mushrooms and taro bubble tea.

JASON’S DELI

Jason’s Deli holds a special place in my heart because it’s where I would always go for dinner during my childhood. But as I grew up, almost all the locations closed. So I was ecstatic to see that Tallahassee had a location. Not only do they have the most delicious chicken alfredo, but they also have pressed paninis, steaming soups, other superb pasta dishes and more.

My recommendation: Chicken Alfredo (of course).

GORDOS CUBAN CUISINE

Gordos is evidently one of the most iconic restaurants in Tallahassee. Whether it be that you have friends that work there or you just enjoy their delicious entrees, you can’t beat it. Coming here after a night of Talloween was refreshing and reminded me of other delectable dishes I had from back home. You also get a free Gordos cup with each visit!

My recommendation: Lechon asado (pictured above).

LITTLE ATHENS GYRO

My family and I would partake in Greek Fridays traditions at home, so I wanted to find a Greek restaurant where I could carry out the tradition. Little Athens Gyro is a neat place near McDonald’s that serves all kinds of Greek cuisine. The post above shows one out of many delicious and budget-friendly dishes they have.

My recommendation: Chicken Gyro and Greek ‘Little Athens’ Fries.

Tallahassee has so many amazing restaurants, many just waiting to be discovered and claimed as your new favorite place. I hope after reading this article you have more ideas to decide what’s for lunch or dinner.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Mia Rampersad is a sophomore at FSU studying Creative Writing. She enjoys reading, exercising, and fashion.