Life > Experiences

Things That Will Only Be Free in College (Maximizing FSU’s Resources!)

Everybody likes free stuff… right? Florida State University (FSU) is ranked by U.S. News as the 19th Best Public School in the nation—and this doesn’t include just academics. The number of resources here that are available to every enrolled student and faculty member is perhaps taken for granted when you compare the cost they would be if not provided. The following is a list of cost-free activities and resources available on or near campus; it would be irresponsible to not take advantage of them while you can.

utilize the leach

Save the expensive gym membership for your 20s. While it houses every piece of gym equipment you can think of, the Leach also has a pool, track and basketball court. Best of all, there are group fitness classes every week that you can sign up for on the FSU Rec app. From yoga to cardio, there is a class for everyone, and free fitness classes will be nearly impossible to find post-college. The Leach is located on the edge of campus by the circus and within walking distance from all dorms.

take in nature at the rez

The Rez is located on Lake Bradford about 10 minutes from campus. Here there are kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, ropes courses and many other activities that are free with an FSU ID. Renting equipment can be pricey, so if you enjoy the outdoors, taking advantage of this now is necessary.

catch a sports game

Fall and spring sporting events are a great way to show school spirit and get involved within the FSU community. While you have to request a free ticket for football and men’s basketball games (most of the time you’ll get one), at all other games, you simply have to show a student ID to get in. Tickets seem to get pretty pricey once you’re in the real world and have to buy them yourself, so go to that game if for no other reason than because it’s free. At the most recent Duke vs. FSU men’s basketball game on Feb. 19, tickets were upwards of $100 for even general admission. This perk of being in college is a great one to take advantage of while you can.

see a movie

The Askew Student Life Center puts on movies, among many other events, free for all students. Get the movie theater experience without that movie theater popcorn price by tuning in.

go to therapy

The Counseling and Psychological Services Center offers several free therapy sessions for students. Taking care of your mental health is crucial in college, and sessions are free—probably the only time they ever will be. Therapy as an adult can be a huge cost when you’re already trying to budget so many other things, so take the opportunity now.

go to a concert

FSU’s Club Downunder puts on free concerts (with a student ID, of course) at The Moon. This location is about 10 minutes from campus and has hosted some notable bands and artists including Coin and Dayglow this year. You can pretty much count on concert tickets to be expensive in the future, so rock on while you can!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a junior at Florida State majoring in Business Marketing and RMI