Ways To Celebrate Women’s History Month

Women’s History Month is about encouraging the study, observance and celebration of the vital role of women in American history. Throughout American history, women have been silenced and discriminated against based on their sex. Women being able to have rights and a voice within this country is a relatively new development. Even though significant progress has been made, women’s rights are still being fought for today. Now more than ever it is important to celebrate women and take a moment to reflect on the importance of women within society and their significant achievements. In honor of the month of March being Women’s History Month, here are a couple ways that you can celebrate.

Support female-run businesses

Women’s History Month is all about honoring the women of the past, but what better way than to support the strong entrepreneurial women of today by supporting a woman-owned business. There are so many amazing resources to finding great women-owned businesses. You can find some great women-owned businesses online, but shopping local is even better! Some local Tallahassee women-owned businesses are Decadent Delights, Drip Drop Fitness and Curio.

Read a biographical book about an influential woman in American history

Go to your nearest bookstore and check out My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Becoming by Michelle Obama or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. If a biographical book isn’t your cup of tea, then read a book by a female author or an educational one that will help you learn something and better yourself. If you don’t want to make that commitment to reading a whole book, check out a woman-hosted podcast or one that’s centered around women. If I want something more entertaining, I’ll gravitate towards Emma Chamberlain’s podcast, Anything Goes, but you can always check out Encyclopedia Wommanica, Dare I Say, FriendsLikeUs or 2 Dope Queens. The options are endless, and you’re bound to find something that you love!

Gather and celebrate with your friends

What better way to celebrate Women’s History Month than surrounding yourself by the women that you love, who support and inspire you. Invite your besties over or have a cute picnic with them and reflect on each other’s achievements and have a good time! Whenever I surround myself with the women in my life that I love, we create a safe space for each other and consequently inspire and support each other. Put on a movie that’s centered around women or directed by a woman.

Utilize social media to share content created by women

What better way to do this than to share some Her Campus FSU content? Post your favorite articles from the week on your Instagram story, Facebook and Twitter. In the age of social media, it’s important to know what content you are consuming, and what’s an easier, better thing to do than share women-centered and women-created content? I always click on the posts that I see on my friends’ Instagram stories and whatever they re-tweet on Twitter.

There are many creative ways in how you can choose to celebrate Women’s History Month. Try to learn about an inspiring woman or go out of your way to support a woman-owned business and make it one of your regular spots!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Sydney is a Junior at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, majoring in Media and Communication Studies. When I'm not planning my next trip, I'm discovering new music, trying new restaurants, and lounging at the beach.