The Future is Female: Interviewing My 5-year-old Sister

As an older sister, it has been a blessing to see my little sister mature into the young girl she is today. She has taught me so much about life. She shows me how it is easy to be kind and about the importance of patience. Adelynn is helpful, kind, creative and brave. Anyone who meets her is surprised by her maturity. She treats everyone like her best friend and has no problem socializing. Since March is Women’s History Month, I decided to interview my 5-year-old sister because she is the future of our world. 

I began the interview by asking my sister what is one thing she likes about herself and why? “I am smart because I can earn 100’s and A’s in school,” Adelynn said in response. When I asked her, what words best described her, she said, “smart, helpful, kind and friendly,” mentioning how happy she is to be smart once again. Young minds need representation, and I’m delighted my mother has been able to provide that to all of her daughters. Adelynn’s hero is our mom, because “…she is there for me. She helps me with homework, and I love her.”

When asked what she wants to be when she grows up, Adelynn’s response frequently changes. A few months ago, she wanted to be a doctor, but as I recently discovered, she now wants to be an artist since she enjoys drawing. Adelynn loves to always lend a hand, she loves to help me clean and she always wants to help me make my bed when I visit. When asked how she can help someone and how she likes helping, Adelynn responded by saying “I like helping mommy do the dishes and helping her cook dinner.” Along with cooking dinner, she also enjoys playing video games.  Mario Kart is one of her favorite games to play, and she is very good at it. Ariel is her favorite Disney princess, but her all-time favorite princess is Princess Peach. Adelynn says she’s thankful for toys because “they are so fun to play with,” which made me chuckle as my mother made a joke and asked, “What about the person who buys you these toys?” 

Adelynn said she would help people if she was president and the first thing she would do is “save the world from slavery.” I informed her that was a great and sweet response but that the slavery she is learning about in school has ended. I finished our discussion by asking her when she feels the most loved and she said, “When I’m talking to you.” I discovered a lot more about my sister than I had anticipated; she is a kind and intelligent young girl with a bright future ahead of her. I plan to make sure she never feels she cannot do the same things that boys do because I will always be there to reassure her that she can do anything she sets her mind on. The future is in their hands, which is why it is important to empower young minds. These girls could be our next leaders if we provide them with the proper encouragement. Adelynn could be an astronaut, a firefighter, a doctor or anything her heart desires as the choices are limitless for girls everywhere.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I am a senior studying politics and sociology. I love to write and aspire to work as a political reporter.