Summer Shuffle: Let’s Recap the Freshly Released Music of the Summer

As school starts and our schedules start to fill up, summer drifts further and further in the rearview. Although summertime is behind us, and sadly so, it’s not too late to indulge in the summer vibes. Listening to the new music released this summer, from alternative jams to your favorite sad girl songs, will undoubtedly bring you back to that summer feeling.

Sunburn by Dominic Fike

This summer, Fike performed his (at the time) unreleased song “Antpile” for the thousands of eager listeners attending his Coachella set. Fans quickly took to social media to emphasize their love for the unpublished song. To the fans’ enjoyment, shortly after Fike’s performance, “Antpile” was released as a single off his upcoming album, Sunburn. As the rest of the album was released on July 7, the support and love for the album only grew. Contrary to Fike’s sophomore album, What Could Possibly Go Wrong, the instrumentals in Sunburn have more of an alternative feel with an emphasis on guitar riffs. Despite exploring a new style, Fike did not lose sight of the slower yet still upbeat music that sparked his fame in his debut EP Don’t Forget About Me, Demos. Fike’s new songs “Pasture Child” and “What Kinda Woman” display a much more mellow beat alongside, in my opinion, some of his best vocals.

Snow Angel by Reneé Rapp

Following the release of her debut EP, Everything To Everyone, Rapp released her debut album, Snow Angel. The variety of sounds in her new album follows suit with the drastic range across Rapp’s discography. Songs such as “Talk Too Much” and “Poison Poison” follow a fast-paced beat with a plethora of cheeky lyrics, whereas “Gemini Moon” and “I Wish” are slower tunes accompanied by heartfelt lyrics. Whether you are going through a breakup or turning “23,” Snow Angel will have a song you can relate to. The wide variety of music Rapp releases has gained her a lot of traction on social media in the past year. Her growing popularity and raw talent tell me this is not the last we will see — or hear — Rapp in the upcoming years.  

Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever) by Noah Kahan

In October 2022, Noah Kahan captured the attention of young music listeners with the release of his album Stick Season. Kahan’s folky sound and metaphorical lyrics left fans wanting more, so Kahan delivered. This June, Kahan released the deluxe version of Stick Season called Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever), truly putting the sad in sad girl summer. With seven new heartbreaking songs to listen (and cry) to, Kahan’s music was once again at the top of the charts. “Dial Drunk,” a new song released in the deluxe album, quickly became Kahan’s most popular song. Not only did Kahan’s music catch the eye of music enthusiasts, but other musicians as well. Shortly after the deluxe album was released, Kahan and Post Malone released “Dial Drunk” as a duet.

Good Riddance (Deluxe) by Gracie Abrams

While being one of many talented openers for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, Gracie Abrams released the deluxe version of her latest album, Good Riddance. Abrams’ soft angelic voice pairs perfectly with the light and airy melodies consistently found in her work. The four new songs Abrams released in the deluxe version continue this theme, keeping the album perfectly cohesive. Watching Abrams perform these songs live (admittedly from a TikTok livestream) while opening for The Eras Tour only reinforces her talent. As Abrams continues to expand her audience and collection of heartbreaking songs, she proves her growing popularity is well-deserved.

Although, like us all, I’m heartbroken that summer is behind us, artists like these make me optimistic for what new music fall has in store for us — and my playlist. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Carly Nelson is an advertising major scheduled to graduate in 2026 from Florida State University. She loves music, going for coffee runs, concerts, and art.