Life > Experiences

Spring Break in Miami (From A Miami Native)

Travel US has Miami Beach ranked as number two on their list of “10 Best Spring Break Destinations.” As a native Miamian, I think Miami is a bit overhyped for spring break. However, to some non-natives, hitting one of the top cities in the country on your week off is a rite of passage. If you are trying to figure out where to go and things to do, here is my ultimate guide to spring break in Miami!

If you’re into tanning and soaking up all the Florida sun, check out Miami Beach and South Beach. South Beach is best known for its nightclubs and notorious for its scene in the movie Spring Breakers, so if you’re looking for people to party with, head there first.

On the other hand, Miami Beach is known for its stunning beaches, all-night parties and classic architecture. The vibe in Miami Beach is way more chill compared to the scene at South Beach. At Miami Beach, you can find more affordable prices and there is more lounging to be done, rather than spending your time drinking until you pass out. However, if you happen to be a fan of both, they are a quick Uber ride away from each other and both are definitely worth checking out.

If you are a big partier and like to spend money, I suggest visiting one of the many famous clubs Miami has to offer. If you are of age, E11EVEN (21+) is an energetic nightclub with trapeze artists, burlesque dancers and often has famous DJs playing. Clubs like these let you party until the sun comes up… and then some!

Club Space (18+), LIV (21+) and Story (21+) also offer similar options; sometimes, you can even see multiple celebrities in one night! I would suggest purchasing your club entry tickets online beforehand at a cheaper rate rather than what the club requests at the door if you are looking to ball on a budget (if this option is offered, because it isn’t always). Clubs can charge upwards of $100 at the door if a celebrity is playing that night, or even just for basic cover due to the high demand of spring breakers wanting to attend.

If you are looking for a more chill vibe and enjoy art exhibitions, I suggest checking out the Wynwood district. Wynwood offers a selection of local breweries, restaurants and bars that, to me, provide just as much fun as going out to any one of the previously mentioned clubs. During your time here, check out the iconic Wynwood Walls, the outdoor art exhibition. The outdoor space is dedicated to some of the world’s most renowned graffiti and street artists that rotate frequently.

Another place I recommend checking out is Myami. This indoor/outdoor restaurant transports guests to ancient Mayan Civilization with its own Mediterranean cuisine infused with a Latin twist; the restaurant is filled with an upbeat party atmosphere, uniquely crafted cocktails and amazing fire performers. 1-800-Lucky is also another one of my go-to spots for a more casual Asian fusion food hall with cool DJs and dancing. Don’t forget to check out their Taiyaki NYC ice cream shop on your way out, where the red bean cone is to die for! Wynwood Marketplace is also a nice place to listen to music, dance and lounge while sipping on a more casual drink like beer if you’re of age. It is a great place to end the night.

If you have time, check out Brickell, the city’s financial center. Here you can find Brickell City Centre, a luxurious outdoor retail center where you can easily shop and eat until you drop! In Brickell, there are many rooftop bars, like the ever-popular Sugar. Here you may encounter expensive food and drinks, but the view of the city from the 40th-floor bar is extremely worth it!

There are so many more things to do, restaurants to go to and clubs to party in. but Spring break is all about having fun, especially when staying in a beautiful city like Miami. As always, good fun is safe fun. Drink responsibly and be sure to always stick to the buddy system as certain parts of the city can be quite sketchy at night, even to a local.

I suggest seeing as much as you can of the city and checking out some less touristy spots as well, especially if they’ve been recommended by any locals you may encounter (we always know what’s up). Also, be sure to keep up with the city’s local ordinances and temporary rules that authorities put in place during this time of year. It will keep you safe and let you keep enjoying the fun from a place other than jail!

As we Miamians say, “We’ll see where the night takes us, but we don’t know where we’re ending up.” This applies to you, too! While I’m mostly kidding, be sure to have fun during this break and stay safe out there!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Erinn Lyden and I am a part of HerCampus FSU. I am currently a Junior studying Editing, Writing, and English with a minor in Communications Studies, as well as obtaining a certificate in Multicultural Marketing Communications. I love to write and I think it's super cool to be able to share my writing with all of you!