Style > Decor

Spooky Smells and Spells for Halloween Season

As Halloween continues to creep upon us, everyone seems to be looking for ways to get into the mood this spooky season. Sure, you can go spend your money on pumpkin patches, haunted houses or theme parks to celebrate the festivities. However, if you are searching for ways to submerge yourself in the spirit of Halloween without having to blow your paycheck, look no further!

The controversy surrounding candles has caused a recent shift from what was once a necessity to making your living space smell amazing to a health disaster. According to an article published by healthline.com, most modern candles are made from a harmful chemical called paraffin wax. This wax is made from petroleum which is a byproduct of gasoline. Burning paraffin wax can release dangerous chemicals that people unknowingly are breathing in. With that being said, there are still many fun and safe ways to replace those lovely aromas that candles bring. Here are three ways to make your apartment smell spooky and have proven to lead to increased health benefits!

1. A Simmer Pot

The simmer pot is a classic and timeless way of giving your home a warm and fragrant feeling. The steps to assembling your spooky simmer pot are easy and cost-friendly! Simply, find a medium pot and fill it a little over halfway with water. Then, turn on your stovetop and bring the water to a boil. Next, get your spices and food scraps ready! Throw in any on-hand spices you have (examples include cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla extract, nutmeg, bay leaves, rosemary, basil and so on). Following the spices, add some apple peels, orange rinds or lemon peels to the mix. After you have formulated your simmer pot, bring it to a simmer and let the scents sweeten your home! Simmer pots give a warm, fall feeling to any living space and are additionally rumored to cure sickness. So, this flu/Halloween season, make sure you are spooky and sick-free with a simmer pot!

2. Essential Oils

If you do not already have a diffuser, you need to go out and buy one… today. Besides the amazing smell that essential oils diffuse, there are many health benefits accompanying them. For instance, according to healthclevlandclinic.org, essential oils have been proven to boost moods, improve job performance, reduce stress, improve sleep, kill bacteria and viruses, reduce anxiety and reduce headaches. If these health factors alone do not convince you to buy a diffuser and some essential oils, then maybe these fun-smelling factors will. To use a diffuser, you fill it up with water and then add a few drops of the oils. Then vapor shoots up, recreating what looks like an apparition (so spooky) while making your space smell therapeutic. What’s the most fun about this though is that you can combine different scents to make your own Halloween-themed smell. Pinterest has a ton of festive ideas including my personal favorites:

Corn Maze

–       two drops of Clove

–       three drops of Orange

–       two drops of Ginger

–       two drops of Frankincense

Pumpkin Patch

–       five drops of Tangerine

–       three drops of Cinnamon 

–       one drop of Clove

Don’t Be Coffin’

–       three drops of Citrus 

–       three drops of On Guard

3. Incense 

Cinnamon
Natalie Rodriguez / Spoon

Lighting some incense is a great way of not only emulating a spooky scent, but also cleansing your living space of unwanted negative spirits and energies. Incense sticks are very affordable ranging from about a dollar or two for a box of them. Head over and support local businesses like Crystal Portal and Stone Age for a variety of choices! Both shops tend to be stocked with regular as well as festive scents like white sage, dragon’s blood, cinnamon apple, orange clove, frankincense and more! If you do not already have an incense burner, make sure to grab one. They typically are as cheap as ninety-nine cents! When you get back to your home, place the burner anywhere you like then simply insert the end of the incense stick into the small hole on the burner. Light your incense but make sure to blow out the flame! This will then create a smoky appearance and have your house cleansed and smelling good in no time!

Fall into the hauntings of the Halloween ambiance by aromatizing your living space with these non-toxic, affordable ways to making your home smell extra spooky.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am a senior at Florida State University majoring in International Affairs with a concentration in Public Administration. A fun fact about me is I was born on Valentine's Day. I find happiness through small things like reading, listening to podcasts, and nature!