It’s no secret that the holidays are the perfect time to snuggle up with a good movie and a cup of hot chocolate while gathering with family. Christmas time is one of the most anticipated times of the year, and for some of us, the movies are the best part. From cheesy rom-com Hallmark movies to the classics that you watch every year, there’s always something to watch. This is the list of my top five non-traditional Christmas movies to watch over your Christmas break.

Christmas Vacation

Now, I will start this one by saying I definitely hold some bias when it comes to the top pick. This movie is one that my family and I watch every year, and each year it gets better. It’s one of those movies that never gets old, no matter how many times you watch it. The story follows Clark Griswold and his family during the holiday season. With many unexpected turns, Clark ends up spending Christmas with his entire extended family in his house, where just about everything goes wrong. Without giving too much away, all I can say is it’s a must-watch and that you won’t be disappointed.

The Holiday

If you’re like me, then you love rom-coms, especially during the holidays. This is a movie I watched for the first time this year and immediately fell in love with. The movie follows two women who come to the same unlucky fate in their love lives. When the two agree to swap homes for two weeks, one in England and one in L.A., things take a turn for the better. The two seemingly find love in a place they never thought they would. This movie had me swooning and I guarantee it will do the same to you.

Holidate

This is one of those holiday movies that is perfect for Christmas, but you can actually watch it during the rest of the year too. Holidate follows two strangers who are both fed up with being alone during the holidays. After agreeing to be each other’s platonic plus ones to every holiday gathering, the lines start to blur between the friendship. Wanting to see each other more than just a few times a year, a relationship grows between the two. This is the perfect recommendation for a rom-com. It has the perfect amount of humorous and romantic moments, and I wholeheartedly recommend it!

A Bad Moms Christmas

I’m sure you’ve heard of this one, and for a good reason. If you liked the previous Bad Moms movies, then you’ll love this one. This movie follows a group of overworked moms as they navigate their lives through this busy holiday season. On top of the regular Christmas chaos, this group of moms face their own moms staying with them during the busy season. If you want a good laugh, then watch this movie. You won’t regret it.

Let it Snow

You might not have heard of this one, but this movie is heartwarming and such a feel-good movie during Christmas time. After a snowstorm hits a small town on Christmas Eve, forming together a group of unexpecting high schoolers, friendships and relationships start to form. When the snow clears, no one knows what that means for the new bonds they just created. This movie is another must-watch for the holidays and it will have you blushing and laughing all at once.

Get ready to bake your cookies, make a cup of hot chocolate and sit down to watch these movies because you won’t want to miss them! Happy holidays!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Kori! I'm a junior at Florida State University, majoring in Creative Writing and Marketing. I'm originally from Orlando, and in my spare time I love binge-watching rom-coms and reading whatever I can get my hands on!