My First Time at Market Wednesday: Here’s What I Loved

Market Wednesday is a well-loved FSU tradition. Many students look forward to stopping by the market for a much-needed distraction in the middle of the school week. Students have the opportunity to interact with one another while shopping and checking out organizations in the heart of campus. As a freshman, I am always looking for ways to become more involved on campus and market Wednesday is a perfect event to do so.

Confession of an FSU Freshman: until now, I never ACTUALLY attended Market Wednesday.

Of course, it is virtually impossible to not at least walk past Market Wednesday on my way to class, but if I’m being honest, I never looked up from my phone long enough to pay attention. Finally deciding to take a mental break and strolling through Legacy Walk earlier this week, I regret not having done it sooner.

While on my walk, I discovered so many wonderful small businesses. Here are a few I think you should absolutely check out:

North Flora Collective

As a plant lover, North Flora was the first shop to instantly catch my eye. With an overwhelming number of plants to choose from, you will find one you can put outside on a window, hanging from your ceiling, etc. Not only that, you can buy adorable-sized pots with beautiful and aesthetic designs that will match any college student’s apartment or dorm. If you want to buy your first plant or just want to add to the piling amount already accumulated throughout your place, this is definitely the shop to go to.

Olde Fields Clothing Company

You will undoubtedly have a hard time not spending even a dime when looking through all Old Fields has to offer. They had by far the cutest items of clothing I have ever seen, including the two crocheted tops seen in the picture below. Not only that, you can also find your next game day outfit if you shop online. If you are not looking for clothes, they also have socks, jewelry and enamel pins. 

CottonByJulia

Owner of the business, Julia makes all her scrunchies, headbands and earrings by hand. Not being able to resist her adorable earring collection, I bought a pair of dangling scrambled eggs for my friend who now vows to wear them for every occasion. Along with her amazing setup and products, Julia was a very kindhearted person to talk to and if you are looking for assistance, she will gladly help you in any way she can.

Sensual Essence

As someone who is obsessed with candles, I smelled nearly every one displayed in this picture. The owner, clearly sensing my indecisiveness, was eager to help me find the best option. She told me about customer favorites, her personal favorite, and I ended up buying a candle titled “Love Spell.” All of the scents were so unique, and she was overall an excellent person to talk to. 

Don’t miss out on everything Market Wednesday has to offer! Check it out the next time you’re walking to class.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

A first year majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Lover of books and all things Taylor Swift :)