My Favorite Fall Finds to De-Stress Mid-Semester

My parents tried to warn me that I might’ve put too much on my plate this semester by being involved in several things, and they were right. Funnily enough, my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach when I am hungry. Likewise, I put my hunger for on- and off-campus involvement before everything else. It feels like I signed up for everything rather than strategically planning what I actually had time for. It can get overwhelming sometimes, so here are some things I have discovered to help me destress this time of year.

Over the Garden Wall

Over the Garden Wall is a Cartoon Network mini-series that premiered in 2014 and is now available on HBO Max. It follows two brothers, Wirt and Gregory, as they go on a meaningful journey to escape the Beast. They then find their way out of the mysterious woods of the Unknown and back home. Similar to Adventure Time and Gravity Falls, it has the same sense of humor and endearing characters. It also shares a similar aesthetically pleasing animation style. It is PG, but don’t let that deceive you. It’s just as spooky as it is funny. Over the Garden Wall is an intricate show that tackles many complex themes like regret, limbo and accountability. All of this, juxtaposed with the goofy characters, makes it one of my favorite fall shows. The soundtrack is also incredible and quirky and I thoroughly enjoy listening to it while I study.

I love watching Over the Garden Wall every year around fall because it’s relatively short. There are only 10 episodes and each one is about 11 minutes. If you are still not convinced, it has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and one of my friends has already watched it four times just this fall! Whether you watch this in the background as you study or while decompressing, I would highly recommend putting it on your watch list.

Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Waffles

Either you have tried Trader Joe’s plethora of pumpkin–flavored food options, or you think I am crazy. If you think I am crazy, let me explain. Every fall, Trader Joe’s releases a ton of foods you wouldn’t think would be good pumpkin-flavored. However, most of the time I am pleasantly surprised. I am not even a very big pumpkin fan, but I’ll keep buying their pumpkin waffles until they are out of season. They are just that good! Trader Joe’s pumpkin-flavored foods are hit or miss, but if pumpkin-flavored foods don’t scare you, these waffles are for you. Check them out next time you are at Trader Joe’s!

Paranorman

Paranorman is a stop-motion comedy film produced by Laika Studios in 2012. It follows Norman, a middle-schooler who has the ability to talk to the dead. Throughout the film, you see him get bullied for this ability until it becomes vital to saving their town. 

This film is lighthearted and explores the importance of being nonjudgmental and the terrible effects of bullying. It also touches on parents having unrealistic expectations for their children to be someone that they are not. The stop-motion animation is also jaw-dropping as Laika Studios is known for its award-winning stop-motion films. This film is also good for a study break as it is only around an hour and a half. If you want a quick laugh and enjoy stop-motion films, I would highly recommend watching it if you haven’t already!

Chick-Fil-A’s Autumn Spice Milkshake

I haven’t tried this, so it is brave of me to include it in things that help me destress. However, I do plan on trying it because of how much my roommate talks about it. She said she got it three times last week and that it tastes like “Scooby Snacks” and “nostalgia.” After hearing this, I thought it deserved to be on this list. I will definitely be trying this soon and you should too!

North Florida Fair

The North Florida Fair is one of my favorite fall events. Enjoyed by both locals and students, it has been around for 80 years! It happens annually every November and this year, it runs from Nov. 3 to Nov. 13. This is the perfect activity for once you’ve finished studying and need an adrenaline rush. They have all the typical fair foods like funnel cakes, fried Oreos and delicious greasy pizza. Some of my favorite memories were made at the North Florida Fair with my roommates, so grab a friend, ride some rides and have a funnel cake. The North Florida Fair is a guaranteed good time.  

As a college senior, I know how easy it is to feel overwhelmed this time of year, but it is not the end of the world. There will always be another test or another class that can improve your GPA. Academically, all you can do is do your best, and success will follow. Remember to take a moment to breathe now, and then and of course, try out some of my favorite fall things to help you destress. You deserve it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Grace Jarrett, and I am a student at Florida State studying political science, and editing, writing and media. In addition to Her Campus, I am involved in WVFS Tallahassee and Alpha Phi Omega. In my free time, I love traveling and thrifting.