Style > Fashion

It’s Award Season: My Favorite Red Carpet Trends

It’s finally awards season and stylists, celebrities and fashion enthusiasts like myself are ready to see which looks will be taking over Hollywood and the rest of the fashion world for the foreseeable future. Every year I look forward to sitting down and watching the red carpet events for each of the major award shows and pointing out my favorite looks. So far, the celebs and their stylists have not disappointed. Awards season has only just begun, with the Oscars, Grammys and Screen Actors Guild Awards still to come this month. Even so, I have been able to pick out a few of my favorite looks and trends, and I can’t wait to see what else this awards season has in store for us!

SEQUINS

Sequins ruled the Golden Globes red carpet, with celebrities finding all kinds of ways to stand out and sparkle on the carpet. I was absolutely obsessed with Angela Bassett’s silver sequin look. The high-neck Pamella Roland dress took my breath away, and it seems that her stylist knew sequins were going to be the favorite look for multiple actresses that night. Abbott Elementary and The Rookie: Feds stars Sheryl Lee Ralph and Niecy Nash-Betts dazzled in purple sequined gowns respectively. Purple also seems to be a popular color this season, so be on the lookout for more purple looks! Jessica Chastain’s Oscar de la Renta dress was arguably my second favorite look of the night, and the matching mask really stole the show.

THE DEATH OF THE BLACK SUIT

It seems male celebrities are finally realizing how boring and repetitive the black suit is. The Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards had many of its male attendees stepping out of the typical black suit and into some eye-catching looks. The Fabelmans star Paul Dano wore my favorite look of awards season so far. His custom blue Dolce & Gabbana suit was adorned with beautiful beadwork and turned heads on the Critics Choice carpet. Andrew Garfield’s brown ensemble and Ke Huy Quan’s red velvet suit were two of my other favorite looks. Everything Everywhere All At Once is such an incredible movie and Quan’s performance and return to stardom is so inspiring. The film is my favorite to sweep the major categories at the Oscars this year! I’m really excited to see these men experimenting with fashion and reclaiming the beauty of the suit. 

SHEER

Sheerness and boudoir-style dresses have made their way back into the trend cycle and I’m loving it. Tulle is a trend I’ll rope into this category as well, as it’s been incorporated into many of these sheer and boudoir looks. Anya Taylor-Joy stunned in a beautiful transparent-nude Dior Haute Couture dress at the Critics Choice Awards. Lily James also wore a semi-transparent Oscar de la Renta dress, but this time to the Golden Globes. I think this trend is not only one that is going to stay around for a while but will also become a celeb and fan-favorite as we dive deeper into awards season.

Have you enjoyed seeing these trends as much as I have? What trends have you been loving on the red carpet?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.