If You Are a Struggling Celiac, Read This— You Are Not Alone

When I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease, I had no understanding or knowledge of the disorder. The process of being diagnosed and discovering the source of my pain was draining in itself. Now, I was expected to remove gluten from my diet? As someone who basically only ate pasta, I had no idea what I would eat or how the gluten was affecting my body.

What is celiac disease?

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation in the small bowel in response to exposure to gluten. Following exposure to gluten, the body produces antibodies against the body’s tissues. Celiac affects the part of the body — atrophy of the intestinal villi — that’s responsible for absorbing nutrients from the food that passes through the intestine. The inflammation causes a great deal of pain and also makes it difficult for the body to absorb nutrients, leading to malnutrition. Symptoms of the autoimmune disorder may include diarrhea, fatigue, anemia (low iron), migraines and weight loss.

People with celiac disease display signs of anxiety post-diagnosis because of their developing fears about eating food. Being diagnosed only means that the patient will now begin their journey of healing their damaged intestine and digestive system. The long-term commitment toward healing is not linear, which may discourage those who are suffering. The anxiety that those with celiac experience may develop into disordered eating. Among college students, disordered eating appears more frequently among those who have celiac because they may avoid eating at all in hopes to avoid the pain and discomfort experienced after indulging in a snack or meal. The change in environment for the students, from their gluten-free home to a university, poses a challenge in feeling motivated to maintain a gluten-free diet.

Social anxiety is common among students who are diagnosed with celiac disease as a result of the fear of how their body will react in social gatherings, which includes being in class surrounded by others. For instance, a student with celiac may experience anxiety leading up to an exam date and become paranoid and restrictive with the amount of food they eat. In romantic relationships, spending time with a significant other or attending dinner dates may lead to preemptive restrictions on their diet in fear of triggering symptoms.

In the beginning, maintaining a gluten-free diet is stressful because you’re training yourself to read the labels on the food. However, Trader Joe’s is a great supermarket to find and try some gluten-free alternatives, especially on the budget of a college student. Below are 9 gluten-free foods for under five dollars at Trader Joe’s in Tallahassee!

1. Hearts of Palm Pasta ($3.49)
  2. Organic Veggie Bites ($3.69)
  3. Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese ($3.69)
  4. Organic Acai Bowl ($3.99)
  5. Gluten-Free Everything Bagels ($4.49)
  6. Garlic Bread Cheese ($4.29)
  7. Gluten-Free Cheese Ravioli ($4.49)
  8. Gluten-Free Cheese Pizza With A Cauliflower Crust ($4.99)
  9. Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Muffins ($4.99)

All of the foods mentioned above are frozen and can be easily microwaved and defrosted. As a college student, it can be difficult to manage your time preparing meals, especially as someone who is celiac or gluten-free. Even though a celiac diagnosis may be scary and overwhelming, shopping around and searching for gluten alternatives will provide you with more relief. Thankfully, a diagnosis only means that now you can work towards healing yourself.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Natalie Willis is from Miami, FL and is studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Political Science. Find more through socials! Instagram: _nataliewillis_