Life > Experiences

How To Get Involved at FSU: College of Business Edition

With nine undergraduate majors, six master’s degrees and seven Ph.D. majors, the College of Business (COB) houses a plethora of programs for students interested in everything from accounting to human resource management. Along with a variety of academic paths and resources, the COB has student organizations, business fraternities and leadership councils. Below is a comprehensive list of ways to extend your involvement in the business school to make the most of your time at FSU.

1. Undergraduate Student Organizations

If you have an interest in marketing, public relations or sales and consulting, the following organizations would be a match for you:

The American Marketing Association (AMA) is a nationwide chapter that focuses on building a personal brand as well as learning how to understand a client’s goals and relay a certain company image. They have speakers at each meeting from large marketing firms. The Case Competition Club is a part of AMA, where students can learn how to analyze business problems and compete in case competitions to practice their public speaking skills around the country. The Consulting Group and Sales Club are for students who are interested in selling and consulting, allowing for practice in interpersonal relations and the ability to “market yourself.”

If you’re interested in technology, the Association for Information Systems encourages students to expand their knowledge in the IT world.

The Association of Latino Professionals for America, Minority Business Society, National Association of Black Accountants, Women in Business and Women in Accounting clubs are great ways to get involved with people who are of the same cultural or gender background, allowing members to connect on a deeper level than just academics. 

The Real Estate Society is for students looking to network in the real estate world. They host events where professionals speak and allow students to network in the real world starting in college.

If you are interested in finance, there is a host of clubs to think about. Cryptocurrency for Young Professionals is for students who want to gain experience in the crypto world. The Financial Management Association, Invest-A-Nole, Securities Society and Willow Partners focus on banking and financial investment opportunities. 

For HR majors, the Society for Human Resource Management has members who all are focused on the career of human resource development. 

Lastly, for those sports-minded individuals who get excited about data analytics, there is the Sports Analytics Club.

2. Business Fraternities

There are several business fraternities to choose from based on your major. Alpha Kappa Psi is the oldest and largest professional coed business fraternity, with membership focusing on growth in the social and cooperate world of business by practicing skills such as resume writing, time management and networking. Beta Alpha Psi is a coed accounting-focused fraternity, holding professional events with accounting firms each semester. Delta Sigma Pi is a coed fraternity that focuses on leadership skills and networking development. Gamma Iota Sigma is a coed risk management and insurance fraternity, with members who want to join the insurance world post-graduation. Pi Sigma Epsilon is a coed fraternity with a focus in marketing, sales and management. 

3. Business Leadership Councils

The Student Leadership Council is a competitive organization in which students must have a certain GPA to qualify. If accepted, members conduct tours of the COB, practice their business networking skills and are representatives of the COB when needed at FSU events. While more time-consuming than an ordinary club, this organization is a great resume builder. 

In short, there is a club for just about everyone in the College of Business. Most of these organizations meet bi-weekly and are not as time-consuming or expensive as they may seem. While in college it’s important to put yourself out there and joining groups like these makes it easy to expand your social and academic horizons. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

a junior at Florida State majoring in Business Marketing and RMI