Do you have some changes you would like to make in your life, but are struggling to find the starting line? Are you overwhelmed by the idea of forcibly changing your day-to-day routine? I came across a habit-tracking method that I’ve incorporated into my life, and I have only positive feedback regarding this method.

Each year, I buy myself a new planner to track important dates and events. To my surprise, my Bloom Planner included a chart where I can track my habits. The first step they recommended was to identify 12 habits I would like to incorporate into my life over the next 12 months. Some of mine were to wake up before 10 a.m., to say affirmations in the morning and at night, and to do one nice thing for someone else every day. The idea is to track one habit every day for a month so that by the end of the year, you have 12 new habits.

I attribute the reason that this method works for me to the fact that it’s not overwhelming. Personally, when I know I have even just two homework assignments and a meeting, those are two responsibilities too many. My brain gets fogged, and I feel anxious until I stressfully find a way to complete my tasks. However, once I’m able to break it down piece by piece, I know what I’m dealing with, and I become more confident in my approach.

@tiffany.heeren

type A + adhd girlies rise up 🫡

♬ original sound – Tiffany Heeren

With this method of only focusing on one habit each day, it turns into a small task I can execute with ease; most of my goals only take a few minutes. I set up my timeline to begin with simpler, less time-consuming habits, such as practicing gratitude for just five minutes a day, to more complicated tasks that I need to designate time to, such as an outdoor walk or reading a chapter from my novel.

I’ve never tracked my habits before. My old approach was to envision the highest version of myself and constantly work towards that. Go to the gym every day. Wake up at 7 a.m. Complete every homework assignment without procrastination. Time and time again, I would fail and be steered off course. Not only would I fail to incorporate new habits, but I would also be upset with myself for not doing everything I knew I was capable of. With this new method, I have found it more convenient to start small and to mark each day I include that new habit into my routine. However, I try not to put myself down if I miss a day. We’re all human! If I said I plan on waking up before 10 a.m. every day for the rest of my life, I would be lying to not only you but also to myself.

Once again, this is a method that has personally worked for me, and I can only advocate on my positive experiences. I find myself researching self-care in my free time, and I’m always working towards my ideal self, forming my passion to share my tips with others. With that said, feel free to make this your own! If you feel you can take on two habits per month, go for it! This is all about finding a routine that works for you! This school year, we are stepping into the best versions of ourselves. Like the American writer James Clear once said, “I accumulated small but consistent habits that ultimately led to results that were unimaginable when I started.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi everybody! I'm a senior here at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media. I really enjoy writing self-help and relationship advice articles as well as more personal life-related topics. I'm aspiring to get into broadcasting and journalism. I'm so excited to be involved with Her Campus where I have a supportive community to advise and support me on my career journey! This semester, I am looking forward to my family flying down from New Jersey for my birthday during parents weekend. I love going to the football games and spending time with my closest girl friends. I am currently interning with Tallahassee Woman Magazine and our local radio station, WVFS. For my last year at college, I am trying to experience everything our campus has to offer, including proudly writing with Her Campus :,)