“It was a name that sounded so sweet, so seductive, synonymous with wealth, style, power. But that name was a curse too,” Lady Gaga says at the beginning of the trailer for her new film House of Gucci. The film, directed by Ridley Scott, will be premiering this week on Nov. 24. The official trailer for the film, which was released on Jul. 29, promises money, ambition and murder and it seems that is exactly what we will get.

Thanks to the costume design by Janty Yates, Gaga is turning out absolute looks, wearing 54 different outfits in the film. The whole film has pieces set over an almost 20-year time span and the different styles of the times already show through in the trailer.

The official trailer, which you can watch here, includes an intense and dramatic version of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” that sets up the themes of scandal and intrigue of the movie. The film is based on the book The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour and Greed by Sarah Gay Forden, which is based on the true story of Patrizia Reggiani.

cast

The film stars Lady Gaga as Patrizia Reggiani. Gaga has acted in several projects before but many will remember her role in A Star Is Born for, which she received an Academy Award for best original song for “Shallow” and a nomination for best actress for her role in the film in 2019. Also starring in the film is Adam Driver, known for his roles in Star Wars and Marriage Story as Reggiani’s husband, Maurizio Gucci. Jared Leto is practically unrecognizable in his role as Paolo Gucci, former VP of Gucci, aged up with extensive prosthetics and makeup. Al Pacino plays Aldo Gucci, the son of the brand’s founder. Salma Hayek plays Pina Auriemma, who was Reggiani’s friend and personal astrologer. This star-studded and talented cast promises a wild ride and great performances all around.

The True Story Behind The Film

The film is based on the true story of Patrizia Reggiani and the events that led up to her hiring a hitman to kill her ex-husband. The fashion house Gucci was founded by Guccio Gucci (yes, that is his real name, I checked) in Florence, Italy in 1921. Reggiani and Maurizio Gucci (one of Guccio Gucci’s grandsons) married in 1972, had two daughters and struggled with the rest of the Gucci family for control of the Gucci company. They were fighting with Paolo and Aldo Gucci for control of the luxury fashion brand.

Reggiani and Maurizio eventually gained control of Gucci for a time and then he divorced her for a younger woman and sold his shares of Gucci in the 90s. She was very angry with him for this and she hired hitman Benedetto Ceraulo to shoot her ex-husband. Reggiani was sentenced to 29 years in prison for premeditated murder. She only ended up serving 18 years in prison and was released in 2016, and now lives in Milan.

House of Gucci is sure to be an interesting watch for your Thanksgiving weekend. I know I’ll be there in theaters opening day, and will be attempting and butchering an Italian accent as I say the word Gucci for weeks to come. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jenna is a freshman this year at FSU. This is her first year writing for Her Campus and she is very excited to join the team!