Style

Halloween Costume Ideas That Won’t Break Your Bank

Whether you’re at home or college, hot girl spooky season is quickly approaching, and it is time to start planning out those outfits. As a fellow college student, I understand the pain of wanting to wear Gucci-level costumes at Walmart prices. More often than not, you won’t be wearing this outfit again, unless you can make space cowgirls into everyday attire, so why make your pockets hurt? Here are six costume ideas that can be created from pieces in your closet or at a low price. 

tinkerbell

All you need is faith, trust and a green dress. Tinkerbell only requires one outfit piece: a green dress. If you don’t have one already in your closet, Amazon has your back. Amazon has this green strapless dress for just $10 to $15. If dresses aren’t your style, Boohoo has this two-piece set for $20. To embrace Tinkerbell’s magic, throw your hair up in a messy bun and add some fairy wings. Wings aren’t a necessity since you’ll probably get tired of them by the end of the night, but if not, Amazon has these simple fairy wings for $8 a pop! To complete the look, add some glitter. Voila!

britney spears

There is no denying our queen Britney Spears has had some ICONIC looks, but the one we will be recreating is her “Baby One More Time” music video outfit. This costume can be easily done with basic pieces in your closet. All you need is a black tank top, black skirt, white button-up and gray cropped cardigan. If you don’t have these pieces or just want to treat yourself to some new clothes, Forever 21 has these pieces for less than $20, such as this black mini skirt. To top it off, put your hair in braids with pink scrunchies at the top. For the shoe, you can spice it up with black booties and high black socks or dress it down with a black high-top sneaker. 

dorothy

Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Get your group together and be the Wizard of Oz characters, but make sure you call dibs on Dorothy. A gingham print blue dress and red shoes are all you need to recreate this look. There’s no place like Amazon when you need to find a dress on a budget. They have plenty of options for gingham dresses, such as this puff-sleeved short dress for $22.99 and a spaghetti strap option for $10.99. If it’s chilly out, layer a white simple baby tee underneath. Put your hair in braids and you’ll be ready to hit the (yellow brick) road!

velma and daphne

This one is for dynamic duos and besties! Velma and Daphne were quintessential characters of our childhood, so it’s only right if we pay homage to them on Halloween. Amazon has actual costumes of Velma and Daphne, but the DIY route is just as easy. To create Velma’s look, just grab an orange bodysuit, baby tee, or cardigan and pair it with a red mini skirt. H&M has an orange bodysuit for just $9.99. Velma wouldn’t be complete without her black block glasses and orange knee-high socks, both can be found for less than $10. Daphne’s outfit is even easier! All you need is an all-purple outfit whether that is a dress or a two-piece set. Princess Polly has the perfect lavender mini dress on sale for $15! Finish the look with white booties or sneakers, and then a green headband. 

cruella de vil

There are 101 ways to recreate this next look. Channel your inner glam villain with a Cruella de Vil costume. Windsor has the whole package available for $35, but no need to fear, it can also be DIY’d. The first step is to get an all-black mini dress which you can probably find somewhere hidden in your closet. Next, you have to accessorize to really capture this heiress’ glam. Amazon has her iconic red gloves for $8.99. You can’t have Cruella without her hair, but wigs can get a bit expensive. Opt-in for a white hair makeup product to get her duo-tone look, such as this white hair makeup from Amazon. 

pulp fiction: mia wallace

For the last costume, we have the easiest to recreate, but also the most iconic. To capture the essence of Mia Wallace from the film Pulp Fiction, all you need is a black bralette and oversized white button-up. Go the extra mile by giving yourself a fake nosebleed using red lipstick. Your Mia Wallace-inspired outfit will be complete with black boots or high heels. 

Being your favorite character or celebrity on Halloween does not have to break your bank. We can always utilize clothes we already have to DIY our favorite looks or find a cheap alternative to allude to their iconic looks. You can find even more costume inspo on Pinterest and TikTok. Whether you’re channeling your inner princess, villain, girl boss, or pop star this Halloween, wear what makes you comfortable and stay safe! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Tolley is a contributing writer under the Entertainment and Culture vertical. She covers entertainment releases, fan theories, pop culture news, and more. Aside from Her Campus, Hannah was also a member of the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus team. During her time with the chapter, she served as a staff writer for three semesters, where she wrote biweekly pieces across campus, culture, and personal verticals. She also was a content editor for two semesters, where she led a team of 6+ writers and oversaw and edited their articles. Hannah was also an editorial intern for Her Campus during her spring and summer term of her second year in college. As an intern, she worked alongside the full-time edit team to curate timely and evergreen pieces across life, culture, career, and style verticals. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from FSU in May 2023, with a Bachelor of Science in Media/Communication Studies with a minor in English. When she's not dissecting the latest pop culture events, you can find her reading a cheesy romance novel or establishing parasocial relationships with fictional TV characters. She loves to rewatch her favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends) or spend the day going down a rabbit hole of reality dating shows.