FSU “Strike Magazine” Holds Its First-Ever Runway Show

On Wednesday, Oct. 27, history was made for Florida State University’s Strike Magazine. The well-known student publication that centers around edgy, ground-breaking fashion held its first runway show. I had the good fortune to snag a front-row seat at the event. The event was held in a large room in the Student Services Building (SSB) on FSU’s campus. Chairs were lined up horizontally on two sides of the room facing each other with an aisle in the middle for the models to walk. With a bright light at the end of the runway illuminating the model and aisle itself, the entire setup felt so professional that it could’ve fit right into something like NYFW.

As the show began, the runway director, Daniela Rodriguez, gave a short but inspiring spiel on the show, telling the audience to “have fun tonight!” On either side of the stage were large white banners with the black Strike logo, (a bold lightning bolt), foregrounded by smeared red handprints. A video began playing on the large projector behind the stage. Clips from various scary movies, iconic music videos and Strike photo and video shoots from this semester played in coordination with upbeat yet slightly ominous music on the screen. The entire atmosphere screamed Halloween and pushing boundaries.

The first model stunned in see-through black mesh pants with a feathered green vest. The matching black leather gloves and black boots pulled the outfit together, and I couldn’t help but think of Harry Styles 2021 Grammy’s look with his black leather outfit with a green boa. This look was further improved by the model’s short black bob and 2000’s inspired sunglasses, which made them look strikingly cool. This description rang true to the following outfits and models of the show.

The next model was a boy in ripped, light wash jeans and a black leather jacket. The intricate designs on the back of the jacket and the red bloodstain on the white tank top made this a bold fashion statement. Several show-stopping looks followed. The attention to detail in the outfits and work on the models’ parts continued to shock and awe the audience. I couldn’t help but keep forgetting that the models were college students. Their confidence and technique were that like a professional model’s. As each model reached the end of the runway they would make their own unique pose, reflecting both their personality and their outfits. Several Strike photographers would snap poses behind the bright light before the models turned to walk back up the runway.

It would be a crime not to recap some of the other daring looks on the runway. One of these was a girl with a wild ensemble of a hot-pink floor-length tulle skirt paired with a cropped, sparkly pink corset over a long-sleeve cropped, black, ripped mesh top. The look was finished off with high-top Chuck Taylors creating the perfect punk-princess combination. Another was a boy in white Doc Martens and a fluffy, deep blue overcoat which he opened at the start of his walk to reveal a black corset and maroon skirt underneath. Lastly, how could we forget the Corpse Bride inspired look. One model wore a white lace corset with flowing white material flowing down to create the illusion of a dress. She wore white fishnet socks that went just above her knee under white heels with straps that went up to her calf. A lace choker necklace paired with the haunting veil and phenomenal makeup made this one of the most daring looks of the night.

The show ended with another speech from the runway director and bows from the entire cast of models. The audience even got a little sneak peek at what is in store for this semester’s volume of the magazine. The magazine, founded here at Florida State, has quite the reputation on campus as being one of the top fashion-based organizations on campus. This runway show showed Strike can do more than just make an outstanding publication. It is an organization for all types of creative-minded individuals who are prepared to put in the effort to make inspiring work.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Julia is a fourth-year student at FSU majoring in editing, writing, and media. When she isn't writing or studying, you could probably find her somewhere drinking a lot of coffee and watching some good movies.