Life > Experiences

Fostering a Dog in College and Why You Should Do It

When I was going away to college, I was sad to leave my dog at home and wished I could have brought her with me to school. My roommates and I are all dog lovers and we would constantly talk about missing our dogs, especially since Florida State University has no lack of animals on campus. After doing some research, we located a shelter about 30 minutes away from Tallahassee. The impulsive decision to visit this shelter was made, and I was welcomed home by a new furry friend that I have grown to love. That is where we met Buckley.

Buckley is a very sweet boy who is a mixed breed of beagle and basset hound. He is extremely cuddly and loves to play (he’s destroyed three of his toys in the past week). At first, he takes a bit to warm up to new faces, but once he does, he will give all the love in the world. According to the adoption site, Buckley came from a high-kill shelter before being rescued by Rest Your Pet Paws Refuge, and my roommates and I would love to see him get adopted.

I think that everyone should consider fostering a dog, and here is why:

You’ll be saving a life! Every year, millions of animals are euthanized in shelters around the world – simply because there aren’t enough homes for all of them. When you foster a dog (or any pet), you’re giving them a second chance at life that they may not have gotten before. Not only that, but you’re also freeing up space in the shelter so that another animal can be saved. It really is a life-saving act of kindness. 

It’s incredibly rewarding to both you and the dog. Seeing Buckley break out of his shell and show us his personality has been immensely fulfilling. Knowing that we have made a big difference in his life and have made him feel happy and loved in this short amount of time is amazing. 

You’ll get lots of love in return! Dogs are incredibly loyal creatures, and your foster dog will quickly become your best friend. From going on walks together to cuddling on the couch, you’ll truly bond with this animal and learn to love it. In my experience, spending time with Buckley has also helped reduce the stress and anxiety that comes with being in college.

It’s more affordable than you might think. As a college student, you may worry that you can’t afford to have a pet, but fostering is actually very affordable (it was free in our case). Additionally, Buckley is completely up to date on his vaccinations and his food was provided to us. Taking care of an animal is without a doubt a responsibility and commitment, but the rewards far outweigh any inconveniences.

Fostering is also very flexible! You can foster for as long or as short a time as you want or are able to commit and there’s no minimum amount of time that the animal is required to stay. This makes it perfect for busy people or those who live in apartments like me.

In essence, if you’re on the fence about opening your home (and heart) to a furry friend, please consider fostering! It truly is one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had, and I’m sure you will not regret it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lexi is a third-year student at FSU majoring in public relations. She enjoys spending time with friends, coffee, concerts, reading, and the beach.