My passion for vintage fashion began in March 2020, around the same time that the online fashion marketplace Depop gained massive popularity. As a soon-to-be college freshman, I, like many others, decided to utilize some of my time during quarantine to reinvent my style. For the first part of my senior year in high school, I wore a combination of American Eagle skinny jeans, TJ Maxx leggings and cute crop tops from Hollister. It seemed like my confidence depended on how trendy my outfit was. After doing this, I realized that I am significantly more confident when my outfit expresses an aspect of who I am. For 17-year-old me, that meant wearing shirts with celestial beings on them, since I find astronomy and our relation to the universe fascinating.

So, when I discovered Etsy, Depop and Poshmark’s endless inventory of vintage clothing (defined as pieces that are at least 20 years old), I was electrified. There were embellishments, patterns, fabrics, styles and even colors I had never seen someone wear in school, on the street or on a mannequin in the mall before. This is probably because I wasn’t even alive in the eras the clothes belonged to. Still, I was utterly intrigued by my discoveries which ranged from sequined and bedazzled sweaters, jewel-toned velour skirts and anything Lucy Pevensie would wear, to pun-filled graphic tees, textured tank tops and flutter-sleeved summer dresses. This is not to mention all the glamorous purses. I could at last express my witty and whimsical personality without having to say a word.

Vintage shopping online offers much more variety. It’s likely that if you’re on the hunt for something, you’ll find it at the click of a button. It’s very exciting because your screen can show you an item that’s more unique than anything you could have imagined. Similarly, it feels like Christmas morning whenever I explore Tallahassee’s The Other Side Vintage and Wonsaponatime Vintage. It’s like Depop but even better because the spaces are curated, so you can feel if a fabric is itchy or if the piece will be too form-fitting. It is easy to spend an hour or two in magical places like these since it is necessary to glance at each piece individually. The hanger towards the end of the rack could be holding your next favorite garment.

One aspect to note about vintage clothes is that since the garment was likely created before you were, perfection can be difficult to maintain. Consequently, don’t forget to examine the piece for damage such as stains or holes. The monetary cost can be more or less considering the demand, brand and condition of the piece. But, that’s the price to pay for the hours curators likely spent searching for the perfect pieces to sell. Also, common care instructions for vintage garments involve either dry-cleaning or hand-washing, and a piece you adore may not be in your size. However, a designated bucket and an “it wasn’t meant to be” mindset can mend these minor inconveniences. To me, it is worth it considering you gain a confidence-boosting statement piece that nobody else has.

Plus, vintage shopping is more ecologically and ethically-friendly than fast fashion. Some of my favorite finds so far have been a red velvet maxi skirt, an Anne Klein cape with lion hardware and a vibrant double-sided T-shirt with an ocean landscape printed on it. I cannot wait for what I discover next! Don’t even get me started on vintage postcards, photographs and furniture.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Left-handed writer from South Florida on her way to becoming a fiction novelist. Her favorite works include adventure, magic, and unique twists.