Fall Into a Good Book: Top 10 Books to Get You Into the Fall Mood

If you have social media, you’ve most likely heard of BookTok. Although people offer countless suggestions, sometimes you just want to find ones perfect for the mood you’re in, which in this case is fall. With the ultimate combination of crime, fantasy and of course a little bit of romance, these book recs never fail to keep me hooked. Keep reading to find my top ten book recommendations for you to get into the perfect Taylor Swift and Gilmore Girls mood.

The Secret History By Donna Tartt

If you’re on BookTok, you’ve definitely heard of this one before. This is one of those books that you just have to read to find out how dark and twisted it is. The Secret History follows Richard Papen, as he joins a class of his college’s elites to discuss Greek. Slowly, seemingly simple things start to unwind themselves and things start to unravel. What was thought to be a simple Greek club is a murderous cult behind the scenes. This book showcases the perfect dark academia theme, while also discussing things like politics, toxic relationships and class privilege.

Gone Girl By Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl is one of those books I will never stop recommending. If you love psychological thrillers, then this is the book for you. The perfect way to describe this book is the song “No Body, No Crime” by Taylor Swift. This story follows Nick and Amy Dunne, as Amy suddenly disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary. People are quick to throw the town’s golden boy under the bus for Amy’s disappearance and/or murder, except there’s still no body. Slowly, Nick and Amy’s marriage starts to unravel as more and more secrets emerge. If you recognized the title of this book, that’s probably because there’s also a movie based on it. It is just as phenomenal as the book. If you like crime novels with a hint of suspense and feminine rage, then this is the perfect book for you.

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout

This is one of those books that I’ve read over and over. While this one is actually a series, I sped through them all when I read them for the first time and they’re the perfect fit for fall. This story follows Poppy, a maiden for all her life, who lives by the harsh rules set upon her at birth. When Hawke, a handsome and mysterious guard at her castle enters her life, Poppy starts to see a future with him. However, when lies and deception get in the way, everything she’s ever known starts to unravel. If you’re wanting to get in the mood for Halloween, then this book is just the pick for you. Filled with vampires, werewolves and monsters galore, this book will have you counting the seconds till the 31st.

Verity By Colleen Hoover

Verity by Colleen Hoover is about a young writer, Lowen Ashleigh, who is struggling to find a break. When she’s contacted by the husband of bestselling author, Verity Crawford, she accepts the offer of a lifetime. Lowen must finish the rest of the books in a series Verity was writing before she was injured, as she is now unable to finish them herself. When things start to take a turn and Lowen finds an unfinished autobiography Verity never intended to show to anyone, truths start to be uncovered. After reading dozens of bone-chilling admissions, Lowen decides to keep what she found to herself. As things start to intensify throughout this novel, you won’t know who to believe, leaving you on the edge of your seat.

Frankenstein By Mary Shelley

I just finished reading this book for class, and while it can feel heavy at times, it’s a must-read on my list. This book follows Victor Frankenstein, an ambitious academic, who is hoping to make something of himself. He spends two years making his “creation,” an artificial man who is composed of different pieces and corpses. While his creation seeks affection, he is viewed as a monster throughout his life. This book contains themes of ambition, the innocence of life and revenge.

Normal People By Sally Rooney

This is another book that was adapted into a TV show. While I can say I thoroughly enjoyed both, you will one hundred percent bawl your eyes out, there’s just no escaping it. Normal People by Sally Rooney follows the lives of Marianne and Connell. While the two differ completely, as Marianne is a loner and Connell is popular, the two strike up an unlikely relationship. As Normal People follows the two throughout high school and then through college years later, it is a tear-jerker. It will leave you feeling empty but in the best way possible. This book explores friendships, love and mental health.

Love in the Time of Serial Killers By Alicia Thompson

Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson is the perfect mix of true crime and romance all in one. Ph.D. candidate, Phoebe Walsh, is obsessed with true crime and is even writing about the subject in her dissertation. After moving into her childhood home in Florida and coming to terms with old childhood losses, Phoebe quickly takes notice of her neighbor, Sam Dennings. She becomes convinced that he is a serial killer.  As Phoebe investigates the mysterious neighbor, she finds that he might actually be the charming and nice guy Phoebe needs in her life. This is the perfect read with a hint of crime and a lot of swooning to get you into the perfect fall mood.

The Things We Leave Unfinished By Rebecca Yarros

Have you ever read a book that gives off a certain vibe, but you’re not sure why? That’s this book for you. Set in the state of Colorado, this story follows twenty-eight-year-old Georgia Stanton, who is fresh from a brutal divorce. After moving into the house of her late grandmother, Scarlett Stanton, she finds herself face to face with the arrogant and cocky romance novelist, Noah Harrison. Known as the “golden boy” of fiction, Harrison is determined to finish Scarlett Stanton’s last novel. As Georgia and Noah decide to read through Scarlett’s manuscript together, they found out her last book was surprisingly based on her life. It even includes a mysterious romance with a World War II pilot, except it’s not the fairy tale ending they expected. Georgia plans on learning from her grandmother’s mistakes, even if it means destroying Noah’s career.

If We Were Villians By M.L. Rio

If We Were Villains is the debut novel of M.L. Rio and is a fan favorite across BookTok. The story follows Oliver Marks, who is fresh out of prison after serving ten years for a murder he says he didn’t commit. Except, the first person he sees after gaining his life back is the one who put him away, Detective Colborne. He’s busy looking for answers about what happened 10 years ago. After one of the seven actors studying Shakespeare was found murdered, the other six students faced the challenge of convincing the police they were innocent. Except, were they? This book is the perfect mix of the dark academia vibe, with the added bonus of crime and suspense.

The Ex Talk By Rachel Lynn Solomon

Last, but surely not least is The Ex Talk by Rachel Lynn Solomon. This is for all my romance-loving girlies. Set in the rainy city of Seattle, Washington, this story follows Shay Goldstein and Dominic Yun as they navigate through a rocky work relationship at a public radio station. Shay comes up with a segment called Ex Talk, which features two exes who will give relationship advice live on air. While Shay’s boss loves this idea, they recommend that she and Dominic co-host the new segment and act like exes themselves. While navigating through a fake relationship, feelings start to form between Shay and Dominic. Will lies and deception stand in their way? You’ll just have to read to find out. If you’re like me, all you need to hear is fake dating, and you’re on board. Trust me, this one does not disappoint. 

If you liked these recommendations, always feel free to reach out to me on my social media to discuss all things books.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Kori! I'm a junior at Florida State University, majoring in Creative Writing and Marketing. I'm originally from Orlando, and in my spare time I love binge-watching rom-coms and reading whatever I can get my hands on!