seouljpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
seouljpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
ISA

Everything We Know About Season Two of “Squid Game”

The dystopian K-Drama Squid Game is the No. 1 show on Netflix and has garnered a 94 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. With the unexpected success of the first season, fans are anticipating a sequel. But is Squid Game a one-off? Will the second season follow the lead played by Lee Jung Jae from this season? And when can fans expect a new season?

With views and virality of the show, it would be no surprise if Netflix renewed the drama for a second season. While there are currently no plans or confirmation of the renewal, fans are highly anticipating the return of the show. Tons of videos on TikTok have gone viral with fans making predictions and sharing theories about the show. It is only natural for the sequel to have high expectations. Considering this is one of the first K-dramas to be globally recognized, there is added pressure on Hwang Dong-hyuk to have a successful sequel. Dong-Hyuk compared his sudden stardom for CNN saying, “I feel like I’ve become BTS. It’s as though I’ve created a Harry Potter or Star Wars franchise.” This sense of responsibility makes writing and directing a second season a challenging feat.

Something that has taken fans by surprise is that Director/Creator Hwang came up with the Squid Game concept a decade ago. Initially, the show was turned down because it was thought to be uninteresting, but now it is captivating fans across the world. Dong-hyuk directed, wrote and created the series alone so creating a second season in a crunch is a challenging feat. Dong-hyuk told CNN,“When I think about doing the same for season two, I’m personally kind of worried.” For season two to come out, it seems like a writing team may be formed. One of the many things that have caused the show to skyrocket is fan theories about a second-season plot. Dong-hyuk left the finale vague for a reason, he is still unsure of the plot for the second season but has plenty of loose ends he can work on.

Many of the Cast Members have remained quiet about the possibility of a second season. While this is in part due to a lack of information, one cast member has spoken about his interest in season 2!  Wi Ha-Joon, who plays the policeman, told Metro in an interview “My hope is that season two comes out, Jun Ho returns alive, and the story with Jun Ho’s brother is resolved well.” This is a great thing for fans to hear. Both Ha-Joon and Dong Hyuk have spoken of a possible return of the policeman Hwang Jun-Ho. And fans alike have plenty of theories about the nonfatal death scene of the police officer. While nothing is confirmed, the shared interest between the actor and director is a great thing to see!

Considering Netflix has yet to confirm or renew Squid Game, a second season is not in the near future. It will take time for Dong-hyuk to decide how to move forward with the series, but given the openness of Dong-hyuk and the global phenomenon it has caused, a second season is not out of the picture! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a Junior double majoring in Marketing and Management Information Systems at Florida State University. I love vegan food, traveling, and listening to music!