The sad truth is that most people in your life are temporary. This is an extremely hard pill to swallow, especially for me. I want so badly to be able to hold onto every single beautiful person I come across. I reach out to old friends to ask how they are, only to receive the bland, “Good! Hbu?” reply that breaks my heart. 

Tell me more, I beg them. I want to know what they’re thinking of, how they’re doing in school or if they found a nice boy. I miss how it used to be, I want to tell themBut the truth is, it’s different now. 

I am constantly watering dead plants instead of appreciating the ones that are growing right in front of me. I can’t seem to grasp that something that was once so beautiful can be gone, especially when I thought it would last a lifetime. 

I’m a very sensitive person and I genuinely never stop thinking or caring about any person that has ever mattered to me. I collect friends like books on a bookshelf, but the weight has gotten so heavy that I don’t think I can take it any longer. I fall in love with almost every good person I meet. It pains me to care the way that I do, which is why I have decided it is time to let go. 

I’ll never forget a quote I read in middle school that said, “Love is not about possession, love is about appreciation.” 

I will never stop loving these people. But it is time I stop wasting time trying to bring them back into my life. Instead, I have decided to sit back, reflect and smile. 

I have come to terms with the fact that most people aren’t meant to last a lifetime. In fact, most people aren’t meant to last much time at all. Each person you meet adds their own special meaning to your life and molds you into the person you are supposed to be. 

There is nothing more painful than feeling a relationship grow apart and being able to do nothing about it. But I have realized that it is such a natural thing. People are constantly evolving, and who and what they need in their life is also changing. I have to remind myself that most of the time, the end of a friendship is nothing personal. 

I am not bitter over any relationship, even those that have hurt me. Instead, I am grateful—grateful that these people have helped me on my journey to become my best self. 

There is something about a relationship not lasting that makes it even more beautiful—it teaches you to cherish the time you do have with these people. Because the truth is, it probably won’t last, and that’s okay. 

So to all my old friends: Thank you. Your presence in my life meant something very special to me, and it always will. 

Xoxo

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ally Leomporra is junior in the advertising program at Florida State University. She is an avid traveler and loves trying new foods as well as experiencing new things!