When you watch movies for fun, it’s hard to list the best movies you’ve ever watched. The worst part is the more movies you watch, the more favorites you find. It’s easy to weed out the worst films you have ever seen because there’s something about a bad movie that you can reference around friends and constantly bring up in conversation. 

I pride myself on watching all types of movies: action, drama, Hollywood’s favorites and also films that only have a good title. I watched a lot of movies this school year, but these are the four I found to be the most memorable.

Everything Everywhere All At Once 

This movie was nominated for an Oscar and contains multiple Oscar-winning actors for a reason. Honestly, when you are sitting in the theater, you might not get it. You might not like it halfway through, but by the end, you understand the deeper meaning. Everything Everywhere All at Once is a story about an immigrant family that owns a laundromat. It also details the matriarch of the family, Evelyn’s navigation of her day-to-day life. One minute she’s preparing paperwork for the IRS auditor, and the next, she faces a cross-reality inter-dimensional conflict. With every fighting stage comes a new parallel version of herself and all the lives she could’ve had instead of the one she lives in. Everything you need for this movie includes a snack for the two-hour and nineteen-minute show time, and if you’re like me, a box of tissues. 

Bullet Train

If I’m being completely honest, I only showed interest in this movie for the all-star cast. How many films could bring you the actors that you love in roles you haven’t seen them in before? This action comedy has a range of plot lines, all tying back to one suitcase that everyone seems to need. As a bullet train full of assassins ride to their destination, the suitcase is all that they are on the train for. The best part for the audience and simultaneously the worst part for the characters is that everyone on the train is willing to kill to keep that suitcase for themselves. Even though this is just an enjoyable action movie, it’s still interesting to see the different plot lines and why the people on the train are there. The movie leaves no plot unfinished and keeps you laughing until the end! 

The Notebook

This was NOT the first time I watched this movie, but with the spring season, I feel like it is the best romance movie on the block. I watch it once a year, I cry once a year and then repeat the cycle. Noah and Allie are two teenagers in the ’40s in the south who are in love. Though they are made for each other, Allie’s parents are wealthy and don’t approve of Noah and his lower-income background. Though they’re in love, they struggle to fight against the pressure of Allie’s parents and the onset of World War II. Eventually, the war ends, and when it finally seems like they can be together, Allie meets someone else. But, that doesn’t mean Noah’s forgotten about her. The Notebook is a fan favorite and is one of the best love stories of this century, acted out by Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. This is the best movie if you need a good cry. The acting is amazing, and though this is a cliche pick, it had to be on this list. 

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

I expected this movie to be great, and I was not disappointed. The action, plot lines and effects were in full force and have your typical Marvel movie fighting scenes. I know this movie received a lot of mixed reviews, and honestly, it’s understandable. The movie focuses on the Marvel character Wanda. However, if you haven’t watched the show WandaVision, you won’t completely understand what is happening since Wanda hasn’t been in a movie since Avengers: Endgame. The movie introduces new characters and different plots, which makes it different from what the last few Marvel movies have been centering on so far. I’m a huge Wanda/Scarlet Witch fan, and if you haven’t watched her show, WandaVision, definitely check it out before watching this movie to save any confusion. For other Marvel movies coming out soon, check out this other article I wrote detailing the next Marvel phase here.

If you like movies, consider starting a Letterboxd account. If you find a new movie you love or have a movie that you think you should’ve been on this list, let me know!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Makenna is from Miami, Florida, and is currently studying Political Science. She enjoys drinking coffee and finding new coffee shops. She loves music, movies, makeup, reading, and is always open for movie recommendations!