Wellness > Health

Clean Girl Summer: The Best Sustainable Self-Care Products

In the past, “natural” or “clean” beauty influencers suggested overpriced mineral blushes with no pigment or three-ingredient products that would barely do their job. However, consumer demands and innovation have contributed to an increase in makeup brands that have more environmentally friendly and ethical products. On top of that, the internet gives us access to small businesses online that are often the ones paving the way for sustainable self-care products.

It can be difficult to navigate different labels for “clean” beauty products, including eco-friendly, plant-based, and fair trade. So, for an explanation of common terms, click here. Sometimes the most environmentally friendly option can be products you already have. I’ve compiled this list of products that fall under the “clean beauty” umbrella and items on my wishlist that I’m trying to restrain myself from buying until I use up what I already own. No product is perfect, but all these brands and products are taking steps to be more environmentally friendly and ethical.

Favorite: Caliray Hell or High Water Mascara

This mascara’s adorable tube is made of 100 percent recycled ocean plastic, and for me, it has the perfect balance of lengthening and volumizing without clumping. Additionally, as it is a tubing mascara, it flakes less and is easier to remove than regular mascara. The brand Caliray offers lots of sustainability initiatives, including partnering with the recycling company Pact, where you can send old makeup to be recycled, the Forest Stewardship Council, and Responsibly Sourced Palm Oil. I will admit I’m also eyeing their Surfproof Setting Spray and Glazed and Infused Lip Gloss.

Wishlist: Lush Shampoo Bar

Waterless and package-less products could be the future of sustainable shower products. Shampoo bars have become much more popular in recent years, you can buy them from many small businesses online (like Ethique Shampoo Bars), at Ulta from the brands Kitsch and Briogeo, and even at Target. Shampoo bars foam up with water and these small bars can replace up to three 250 mL bottles of shampoo because of how concentrated they are. I like the Lush ones because of their unique scents, and for years Lush has had great sustainability initiatives which you can read about on their website.

Favorite: Kosas Chemistry Deodorant

I was influenced to buy this from the Naked Beauty Podcast, and my life hasn’t been the same since. The consensus acknowledges that aluminum deodorants are harmful, but natural deodorants notoriously just don’t work. The Kosas one uses AHAs as the active ingredient as opposed to aluminum used in conventional deodorants or baking soda in natural ones. The AHAs are working because this past week I’ve been walking around and sweating in the heat in Tallahassee, and (TMI warning) instead of smelling the usual deodorant scent mixed with sweat, I just smell nothing. It even lasts all day.

Wishlist: Tower28 blush

One thing about me is that I love orange-peachy blush, and I feel like it is the perfect color for summer. For me, this blush from Tower28 in the shade Rush Hour seems like the perfect clean option, and they also have another orange shade, Golden Hour, for darker skin tones.

Favorite: Coconut oil

I haven’t been able to go to bed for the last few years before double cleansing my face with an oil cleanser. Oil cleansers work amazing as my makeup remover (which can replace single-use makeup wipes) and can remove any grime on my face (which I get a lot of working at Starbucks) very effectively. That being said, after I saw this Tiktok, I realized I do not need to be using an expensive oil cleanser. Coconut oil works just as well, if not better, while also having many other uses.

Wishlist: Skylar Capri Summer Perfume

Every time I’ve tested this fragrance at Sephora it smelled amazing, very fresh, citrusy, and as the name suggests, like you’re on a Mediterranean Island. It’s a very summery scent, and I might just get a rollerball of this to take in my carry-on for my study abroad in Spain this summer.

Favorite: Kitsch safety razor

I’ve always wanted to try safety razors because I’ve read about them online, so when I saw this one in person at Ulta, I had to get it. Safety razors were how people used to shave before the cartridge razors that are conventional today were invented in the 1970s. I was a little intimidated to try this because safety razors are slightly more dangerous to use than cartridge razors (“safety” just means it’s not a blade completely on its own), but I found it not difficult to use at all. I just have to be careful and make sure I’m not in a rush.

You can buy safety razors from many places; I love Kitsch because their products are always innovative, in cute colors, and made with sustainability in mind. My only criticism of the Kitsch razor is that I wish it had a silicone handle because it’s kind of slippery in the shower. Safety razors are more expensive than cartridge disposal razors, but I find them worth it since you essentially never have to buy one again. All you have to buy is the blades, but since safety razor blades are a standardized size, you can buy a pack of 100 on Amazon for less than $10.

Wishlist: OSEA body oil

Here, I was influenced by @greengirlleah, again on the Naked Beauty podcast, and it’s definitely a splurge. However, I might be able to justify it as an end-of-the-semester gift to myself because every time I get out of the shower, I need my skin to be as moisturized as possible. This body oil uses ocean ingredients like algae and seaweed, and when I tried it on my hand at Ulta, it was quick-absorbing with a lasting velvety glow. On top of that, OSEA (which stands for ocean, sun, earth, and atmosphere) Malibu is a climate-neutral and ocean-positive certified brand. Some less expensive options for sustainable body oil are SheaMoisture (I have this one, which works well) and Soap & Glory.

Favorite: Giovanni 2Chic Conditioner

While you can get bar conditioners like the bar shampoos mentioned earlier, I’m skeptical that a bar conditioner would work for my hair, which is very long and easily tangled. This conditioner has worked great for me and according to the reviews on the Giovanni website, it works for many different hair types. I also love how all the Giovanni products’ packaging reminds me of the Frutiger Aero Y2K aesthetic trending on the internet.

It’s not the consumer’s fault when companies have unsustainable and unethical sourcing, ingredients, or packaging, but I find it important to support brands that are making positive changes. I find the Internet helpful as you can find lots of information on a product through Youtube videos or online reviews. This allows you to see if a product is right for you, so you can waste fewer unsuccessful products and money. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us onFacebook and follow us onInstagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Flora is a sophomore at FSU who grew up in Houston, TX, but more recently lived in Jacksonville, FL. She is studying History and is part of a pathways program for Geographic Information Science. This is her second semester at Her Campus which she loves to write for. <3