I came into college with a passion for STEM (at least, what I thought was a passion). In high school, I took every science course under the sun. I even went as far as taking AP biology my senior year, even though I had already taken an honors bio class, because I wanted to “get ahead.” I loved genetics and cells. I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up: a genetic counselor. I wrote about this passion in several college essays and essays for school projects. I entered college thinking that this is what I would do for the rest of my life.

What I didn’t realize is that while I was interested in biology, I was pursuing it because I thought other people wanted me to. I’ve always loved reading and writing. My parents always like to brag that I was reading chapter books at four, but I’m not sure I believe them. In high school, I took several advanced-level English classes and I flourished in them. I really felt like English was where I stood out. I became close with my teachers because I showed true passion for the classes. I was simply too scared to pursue it because of the stigma around English majors. I can distinctly remember my junior year chemistry teacher telling the class that an English major was the most pointless major one could get.

I was scared to make the change. I thought the job prospects were better in biology and as a first-generation college student, I wanted to make my parents proud. What I needed to realize was that following my true passions was way more important than what other people thought. I needed to tune out my chemistry teacher and similar voices. Eventually, I learned how to do this, and in the middle of my first semester, I changed my major to Editing, Writing, and Media. It has been one of the best decisions I’ve made since I’ve been at college.

I realized during that first semester that I needed to do what made me happy. I needed to tune out the people saying this wasn’t something I should go for. I was so scared to make the change, but I was more scared of what would happen if I didn’t. I talked to my parents on the phone asking them what they thought about this change. They told me to go for it, and that they were expecting I would change. Turns out they knew what I wanted to do with my life better than I did. I realized then that I didn’t need to worry about making them proud—they already were. They didn’t care if I was a biology major or an English major, they wanted me to be happy. They really helped me tune out the people saying this was a bad idea and helped me get on the right path.

I didn’t change because of a weed-out class or because I thought it would be too hard; I changed because when I pictured my future, I realized I didn’t want one with biology in it. I was only in one class for my major last semester, and I had already begun to feel burnt out. Trying to get myself to do work I just wasn’t interested in anymore was soul-sucking. Since the change to English, I’ve been much happier. I’ve been less stressed and I am happy knowing that I’m going to be able to do what makes me happiest as a job. 

To all of those in a similar boat: change your major. I promise you won’t regret it and you will be so much happier. If I can make the huge leap from STEM to English, you can too. Don’t do what you think you should do, or what others think you should do: do what you are passionate about. The old saying goes “Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life,” and it’s true. Since I’ve gone from balancing equations to writing feature articles, I’ve started to feel like I’m never doing homework, I’m following a passion. So, do what you love and change your major.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm from Minnesota, and am a Sophomore Editing Writing and Media major at FSU.