BHM Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BHM Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Design by Gabi Maynard

Black History Month Reads: My Favorite Works by Black Authors

In honor of Black History Month, I’ve decided to compile a shortlist of classic works by Black authors that I consider must-reads! Most of the works and authors listed come from the Harlem Renaissance, an era considered to be both a cultural movement for African Americans (AA) during the 1920s and the most influential period for AA literary history. This list is by no means definitive nor exhaustive, but simply some of my favorite works that I heavily recommend to everyone who needs a good read.

1. Jazz—Novel by Toni Morrison

The novel starts out in the aftermath of Dorca’s murder, a young Black girl who was in a deranged love triangle with a married couple, Violet and Joe Trace. As the narrator tells the story of these people and their lives in the city of Harlem, she allows for the narrative to follow along with backstories and character lives to create a complex web of people, places and stories. 

Beyond any doubts, I say with complete confidence that this is my definitive and absolute favorite novel. I’ve read this a minimum of five times, every time allowing me to focus on one of its many captivating themes: love, lust, race, violence, etc. I first read it when I was 17, an age mirroring that of one of the main characters, Dorca. Reading this novel as a young adult, even now, is an irreplicable experience that allowed me to truly empathize with the erratic feelings of a love-crazed girl. As the story progresses, the reader can find understanding and peace as Violet searches for it herself. This novel covers many heavy themes and complex stories, yet blends them so seamlessly as to create an entire environment that you can’t help but be immersed in.

2. Their Eyes Were Watching God—Novel by Zora Hurston

A literary classic set in rural Florida in the early 20th century, this story follows the life of Janie Crawford as she pursues her life’s quest to find true love. 

This is another novel I’ve read multiple times, and I’ve yet to meet a soul who has read this novel and not been completely captivated by its story. Following Janie through her life, the reader finds it easy to establish an emotional rapport with the protagonist as she goes through both her lowest times as a Black woman in the South and her best memories as she finds a genuine kind of love.

3. “Montage of a dream deferred”—Poem by Langston Hughes

A book-length poem written in a jazz style, this piece focuses on scenes taking place within a single day in Harlem and its African American inhabitants. 

The message perpetuated in this poem is one I believe everyone should hear. At its core, this poem is about the discontent Hughes feels with the inequality he faces as a Black man. He expresses his unwillingness to continue life as is by claiming that if motions are not made to achieve equality soon, the dream of racial equality will simply perish (an unacceptable feat).

4. The Blacker the Berry—Novel by Wallace Thurman

This is the story of Emma Lou Morgan, a young Black woman who begins her life in Idaho and is followed along in her journey to USC and Harlem. Through her life, the author delves into discussions of colorism and discrimination Emma Lou faces by lighter-skinned African Americans. 

A piece of literature with a strong impact on both its audience and other media, I recommend this novel to everyone seeking to learn about the Black experience and the hardships entailed. The reach of this work has gone far, inspiring other works such as Tupac’s “Keep Ya Head Up” and Kendrick Lamar’s “The Blacker the Berry,” signaling the moving nature of this story.

5. “In and out of time”—Poem by Maya Angelou

This is a poem depicting a genuine, strong love between two people who have loved each other through both hardship and pleasantness.

I don’t think anyone necessarily needs a reason to read this, but it’s just a great poem. My next tattoo is inspired by this poem, its nature motif, the imagery and Angelou’s words conveying an undying love that never ceases to grow. It is quite frankly a very good poem.

6. I know why the caged bird sings—Novel by Maya Angelou

This novel is an autobiography following the early years of Maya Angelou. 

To anyone who has yet to read this book, I strongly implore you to read it ASAP. The adversity she faces as a young Black woman growing up in the South allows her to convey heavy themes using her own experiences. The messages she tells using her life stories are imperative to hear, and she tells her messages and stories well with some of the best writing techniques I’ve ever read.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Alexa is a Senior majoring in English and Political Science. Her hobbies include stealing cats and creating voice memos to look back on <3 You can find her running on the track at three in the morning crying to Mitski!