FSU Dorm
FSU Dorm
Alyce Rogers

Apartment-Style Dorms: Pros and Cons

Most incoming college students expect to live in a dorm at least once, but it is seen as something only for younger students. In Tallahassee at least, it’s become a trope that freshmen live in dorms and move into an apartment after their first year. I’m here to explain why students shouldn’t feel pressured by this. I will present to you all the reasons an apartment-style dorm is fiscally responsible and convenient, and how it will add to your college experience.

What is an Apartment-Style Dorm?

It’s exactly what it sounds like! It’s an on-campus living space, right next to all the regular dorms, you just get your own room! Florida State University (FSU) has a couple of buildings with this style, each slightly different. The dorms in Ragans Hall have four rooms and two bathrooms for four residents. Traditions Hall has options for two roommates, and you can even live alone! Rogers and McCollum have options for apartment-style dorms as well. Of course, these prices may vary, but each option also includes a full kitchen and common area. This is no sales pitch, but let me start to unpack why this can be such a great option, for any student.

It’s a Frugal Option

We all know apartments here in Tallahassee are insanely expensive, but it feels like your only option because you don’t want a roommate. Here is option number two. Apartment-style dorms average around $4k per semester, that’s about $8k total for one year. On average, local apartments are about $1k a month, reaching about $12k in a year. Note that apartments make you rent for the full 12 months and dorms do not, so you aren’t paying for the dorm for a couple of months in the year. Essentially, dorms are $2-4k cheaper for one year compared to an apartment. Plus, nothing extra is added to the cost of a dorm: no charges or utilities outside of that amount. Also, maintenance is fast and reliable. I love saving money! Don’t you?

It Is SO Convenient

I am a second year living in an apartment-style dorm this year and let me tell you, everything is within walking distance. I can get to all my classes within a 10-minute walk. I can walk to football games in five minutes. Multiple food places are within walking distance. Landis is 10 minutes away from me. Any school event or activity on campus is easy for me to get to, and I don’t have to move my car or worry about parking. To be honest, I am not a naturally active person. I don’t enjoy fitness at the moment, but I know it is important. Living on campus makes me walk everywhere. I now rarely use my car because it’s less convenient than walking.

Resident Assistants (RA) Are Your Best Friend

I consider myself an introvert with reasonable boundaries, but we all know some people are plain wild. The people who blast music at 3 a.m. and throw parties when you’re taking an exam are the people that need an apartment. In these dorms and all dorms, there are rules. Depending on the type of person you are this may be a pro or con, but personally, I appreciate the authority. If there is a noise complaint the dorm will be visited by disappointed RAs. If your roommates are being disrespectful or neglecting responsibilities, they can be replaced. If you need referrals to campus resources or connections for information, RAs have your back. It’s a safe space where rules exist, and I appreciate that for my anxiety’s sake.

Some Cons

Unfortunately, dorm life isn’t as glamorous as life in an expensive apartment, so here are some cons. Parking can be spotty, there isn’t a guaranteed spot for you and sometimes you have to spend some time searching. On the same topic of parking, during gameday, most of the lots around the stadium are reserved for Booster parking and students can’t park there anymore. I’d say that con is my personal pet peeve, as finding parking during that time can be a headache, to say the least. Something else to note is that there is a limited amount of these types of dorms, so securing your spot in one may be more difficult than you think. Other than that, the cons are what you’d expect. The rooms are small, a twin bed, a dresser and a desk are about all you can fit in them. The fixtures and appliances are older and not the most attractive, but how can you complain at the price you’re paying?

Clearly, this is a humble living option. These apartments are small and outdated, but they provide so many opportunities for students to get involved on campus at their convenience. They are much cheaper, and literally on campus, up to a 20-minute walk to any destination. You get all of the pros of a normal dorm, but you get a room all to yourself! I just ask that next time you’re considering housing that this is an option in your mind, it can be a great experience that doesn’t kill your wallet. Also, stop hating on students in dorms! Not cool.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

New Her Campus member at FSU! Excited to write with intent :)