A Must See While in Tallahassee: Railroad Square

Tallahassee, Florida is known to many of us as a bustling college town, home to Florida A&M University (FAMU), Florida State University (FSU) and Tallahassee Community College (TCC). Most of us are students who, during the day, spend our time stressing over our homework and at night find some club to de-stress and have fun at. But what happens when we are done with our work or we are looking for something to do during the day? We’re all familiar with Governor’s Square Mall and Collegetown, but tucked in an underrated corner is Railroad Square: Tallahassee’s hidden gem of self-expression and local shops. What can I do in Railroad Square? Well in no particular order, here is a list of some things to check out!

1. Crystal Portal

As its name suggests, this place should be your go-to for everything crystals and metaphysical! This store has a variety of all your metaphysical needs and amazing employees who are well versed and equipped with knowledge and explanations for those of us who aren’t. Their store has everything from crystal bracelets to palm stones, books on witchcraft, decks of tarot cards and tarot card readings! They regularly have promotions that make many of their items even more affordable for those interested in creating their own miniature crystal portal. On the first Friday of every month, Railroad Square comes alive with music, creativity and local vendors. This store in particular for the month of October offered $1 tarot card readings and a free crystal to those who waited in line longer than 15 minutes! Be sure to follow their social media accounts to stay up to date on any events, promotions or just your dose of crystal information!

2. Artxnikki

Looking for room decor or interested in watercolor? Or are you maybe just looking for some new art? Nikki Ackerman is a local artist and former FSU alumni who is the newest addition to the Railroad family! Her art caters to the Tallahassee culture we all know and love. She offers stickers, buttons and prints! From her “Cocktails of Tallahassee” print to a recent addition of “Osceola and Renegade” print, she offers it all. Maybe you like her artistic flair and style but want something a little more personal that relates to you as an individual. Good news! She offers custom orders as well! Her art is a nice way to spice up any dorm or apartment. For those graduating soon, her art is also a way to carry your college years with you and keep those memories alive.

3. Cosmic Cat Comics

Interested in graphic novels or comic books? Or maybe you have never read a comic book in your life but are simply interested in expanding your horizons? Look no further than Cosmic Cat Comics for your local comic book needs. Their store offers a cozy feel, giving you the opportunity to get to know your local owners and make it feel like home! If you aren’t looking for comic books but have your own figure collection, Cosmic Cats offers exclusive figure and toy opportunities! They are scheduled to open on Oct. 12th for anyone looking to view their collection.

4. Fat Cat Books

College life can get lonely. For those who have pets at home, there is nothing that can replace your furry friend, but seeing a cat or dog always helps. Fat Cat Books provides people with the opportunity to see adult and senior cats who are in need of adoption, while picking up their new and latest read. The books sold here are thrifted so you may not see any of your BookTok or Bookstagram reads. However, it’s perfect for discovering something you may not hear about. They not only save cats and trees but also help readers buy books at an inexpensive price. Be on the look for their next Grab Bag Book sale!

5. The Crum Box Gastgarden

After all that shopping, stop by The Crum Box Gastgarden! It’s the cafe built out of a red railroad caboose. Stop by for a hoagie and a drink while enjoying the lovely outdoor seating! This year, they hosted their first in-person sausage fest where they sold homemade sausages with flavors like curry and buffalo chicken. Their menu is simple and straight to the point, leaving room for little deliberation. It is often the simplest things that bring the most joy!

On your next visit, parents’ weekend or free day in Tallahassee, check out Railroad Square! Many of us look for things to do and are quick to dismiss what is right in front of our faces. This square of niche stores hosts events on the first Friday of every month. Of course, these are not the only stores in the square and you should feel free to go explore more whenever you get the chance!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi my name is Angela! I'm currently a Second Year at FSU and some things I do in my free time are read, run, and listen to music!