Life > Experiences

A (Hopefully) Not Cliché List of Lessons I Learned Freshman Year

A year ago, I spent the summer before college desperately searching for advice on how to have the perfect freshman year. I binged YouTube advice videos and looked up as many tips lists as I could. I was frustrated that a lot of what I found were the same five common-sense tips that I already knew. As I reach the end of my first year in college, I want to make the list that I was looking for a year ago.

1. Talk to random people

I know I said not cliché advice, but this is the most important tip. I made so many friends this year by just starting up conversations with random people. I love meeting new people and it has been so fun to talk to random people in my classes, in the dining hall and around campus. I know some of us are on the shy side and that can make talking to strangers difficult, but it helps to remember everyone else is in the same boat as you. Most people are also feeling lonely, homesick or are looking for friends, so try your best to stay open.

2. You’re gonna get sick

The germs and illnesses of Tallahassee are no joke. I have gotten a cold a few times and trust me, the first time you get sick away from home is terrible. So, maybe when you move in, bring a bin of Powerade, cough drops and your favorite sick snack. That walk to CVS while ill is not a trip you want to be making when you can barely stay awake. Speaking of which, there are services on campus that can help you if you get hurt or sick. I made too many trips to the health and wellness center this year, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out how helpful they were. When I sprained my ankle, I was in and out in less than an hour and a half.

3. don’t move your car on game day

Several times in the fall, my friends and I were driving around parking lots late at night waiting for a football game to end so we could get them an overnight parking spot. The best choice is to just not move your car two days before a game if you can. Take an Uber, walk somewhere or just decide to hang out on campus. This is mostly only a problem in the fall during football games.

4. Go to sports games

florida state football field
Original photo by Lauren Sparling

I never thought I would end up being a football fan. I used to give speeches to my family about how it was just a silly game of men running around with a ball. And it kind of is. But, the energy in the student section in the stadium got me to care about football. Some of my favorite moments throughout the year have been at sports games, like when we broke our losing streak in a game against Syracuse. Or when we beat the University of Miami and I got to smugly text my dad (A UM alum) a picture of the jumbo-tron.

5. Put yourself out there academically and socially

In the fall I decided on a whim to apply to the honors college, and I got in! This was something I did randomly and, while I get decent grades, I was not confident I was going to get accepted. I surprised myself and am so glad I did. I made so many great friends this semester in my honors class (shoutout to my public speaking friends). Join as many clubs as possible on the day of the involvement fair. This is one of the easiest times to get involved on campus, don’t be shy, walk up to the people at the tables and ask them what their club is about. You never know where you might find your people.

6. raincoats > Umbrellas

Bring something with you for the rain. The Florida weather is very unpredictable, so you never know when it’s going to downpour. I brought both a raincoat and an umbrella with me to college. I’ve used the umbrella exactly once and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve used my raincoat. If you’re stuck between the two, go with the raincoat.

7. set a timer for your laundry

The second that cycle ends, people can and will move your clothes. I have never moved anyone’s stuff, but I know how frustrating it is to wait for someone to come get their clothes while I have laundry to do. Once I lost track of time and ran down to find my clothes piled up on a nearby counter. This moment of panic could have been avoided if I had just set a timer on my phone, I never made that mistake again.

8. call your mom

My mom is my best friend and I was very nervous at the beginning of the year about getting homesick. I was worried things were going to change with my family when I went away. And they sort of do, but I talk to them on the phone so often it doesn’t feel that different. The biggest piece of advice to keep you grounded in a new place with new people is to take 20 minutes every so often to call your family. You’ll miss them, I know I have.

The biggest thing I would tell myself a year ago is to just be yourself. There is no one cheat code or sure way of having a good freshman year. Don’t take it too seriously and enjoy every moment, it goes by in a flash!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jenna is a freshman this year at FSU. This is her first year writing for Her Campus and she is very excited to join the team!