coffee and chocolate cake
coffee and chocolate cake
Original photo by Ruka Saito

A Coffee Lover’s Guide to the Best Cafes in Town

Looking for the best coffee shops to try in Tallahassee? Here are some of my favorite places to grab a cup of coffee!

Black Dog Cafe located at 567 Industrial Dr

If you want a rainy day, cozy, book vibe, this is the place to go! This coffee shop is located right next to Lake Ella and has beautiful outside and inside seating. When you walk in there are books everywhere with different styled seating arrangements that draw you into the cafe. The coffee bar is filled with different goodies ranging from muffins, loaves of bread, cookies and more. Also, they have funny and cute knick-knacks that they sell like a Van Gogh mug that when heated up the ear disappears. The coffee is the real seller here. I ordered a regular drip coffee with creamer, and it tasted amazing. I’m not one for going out and ordering regular coffee, but if I had to, I would go here. My roommate ordered the toffee nut drip coffee that she said was stupendous. This cafe has homey vibes and hot coffee to die for!

redeye located in midtown

I just heard about this place from one of my classmates who worked there, and I am not disappointed! There’s outdoor and indoor seating with glass windows surrounding the inside. The shop has bunches of plants and forestry green walls that make you feel calm. The workers are super sweet, and the music is hand-picked from the staff, so it changes every time. This is the place to go for iced coffee! I ordered a hazelnut iced coffee with creamer and it tasted as good as Starbucks. The drip coffee is a safe choice too and it’s not super pricey. This is a super cute shop if you’re looking for a new place outside of campus to go to!

All Saints located on Railroad Ave

I have a love-hate relationship with All Saints Cafe. The look of the shop is really adorable and makes you feel like you’re transported back in time to a 90’s romance movie where you’re the main character studying in a hole-in-the-wall shop. There are so many different types of seating that you can go with a lot of your friends or by yourself. The thing that I love the most is that they are open late into the night, which is a great feature when most cafes close around 10 pm. I personally do not like their hot coffee. It was alright, but I would go back to the shop for their specialty ice coffees. I ordered a marshmallow iced coffee and it was one of the best and unique coffees I’ve ever had! If you are going to All Saints, I would suggest any drink they have on their boards or ask a staff member his or her favorite.

Argo Tea Cafe next to the Shores Building on campus

Need that extra caffeine boost before class, but Starbucks and Dunkin’ have long lines? Argo Tea is the place to be. They are located inside the Shores Building off Landis Green, and they have a wide variety of teas and coffee. Personally, I love their iced hazelnut cold brew with creamer. There is hardly ever a long wait which is super beneficial for being on campus. My friends have tried their teas and love it with a splash of honey. I love going and grabbing their coffee on my way to my 9 am. I definitely recommend this place if you ever want coffee on campus before class! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Lindsey Anderson, and I am an editing, writing, and media major! My favorite color is yellow, and I love gardening! My favorite books are The Poppy Wars, The Book Theif, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!