Maintaining a relationship in college can be quite daunting, let alone a long-distance one. Some people ultimately decide that a significant other is not part of their college experience, avoiding a romantic connection at all costs. Others find themselves struggling with finding a balance between work, life and a relationship. Some are in long-distance relationships with a partner who may have decided to go to school elsewhere, joined the military or even stay back home. No matter what your long-distance situation may be, I want to share five tips that have helped my relationship last.

1. Pick Up the Phone, Communication is Key

While text messaging may seem fast and convenient, words are sometimes manipulated or lost in translation. This is especially difficult for two people who do not see each other very often. Finding the time to make a phone call or even video chat is the best way to stay connected. There is no better feeling than hearing the voice of your loved one on the other end of the phone after a long day. Even better is seeing their smile over FaceTime. Keeping an open line of communication is of utmost importance in a long-distance relationship. It may be impossible to share every second of your day but summarizing your experiences over the phone is bound to make your partner feel included.  

2. Virtual Date Nights

One of the most difficult parts of being in a long-distance relationship is constantly seeing other couples together and doing the activities you wish your partner was here to do. Not only is it upsetting, but it can even cause jealousy which you can take out on your partner. I have discovered that having a virtual date night can be just as fun, if not even better than in-person. At the beginning of every week, my boyfriend and I decide what day we want to go on our date. While most of the time we choose Friday to end our work week on a good note, we might spontaneously choose a weekday when we could really use each other’s company. A virtual date night can consist of eating at the same restaurant, shopping at the same store, completing an activity with each other or lying in bed and watching the same movie. As long as you are devoting that time to one another, the date night is bound to be successful.

3. Care Packages

One of my favorite aspects of being in a long-distance relationship is sending and receiving care packages from one another. Care packages are great to send during the holidays or even randomly out of the kindness of your heart. No matter the occasion, your partner will greatly appreciate the time and thought you put into sending them a personalized gift. Care packages do not have to be costly and the materials are easy to find.

4. Book the Flight or Take the Drive

Taking the time to visit one another can help build a long-distance relationship. While flights and gas prices are at an all-time high, it is important to budget travel expenses. Visiting where your partner lives allow you to see how the day-to-day works for each other. It also allows you to experience new things and explore a place you might not have been before. It is difficult to plan a trip while in college or save the money to do so while in college. However, I think it is important to realize that money comes back, but people don’t always.  

5. Cherish the Moments

Lastly, cherish the time you do spend together. Whether that be a few times a month, or a few times per year, enjoy the moments you do have. When you don’t have the luxury of seeing your partner every day, you start to understand the value of connecting in person or virtually. The current moment can be so powerful and people tend to forget that. You may even feel forced to break the distance or plan out the future with each other, but don’t forget to appreciate and understand one another throughout the process. Long distance is difficult and requires work, but it does not have to be complicated. I never thought I would be in an LDR, but I would not change my situation for the world.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Isabelle Medina is currently a senior majoring in Political Science with a minor in Psychology and Communications at The Florida State University. She wishes to attend a graduate program where she will work to become a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist in the state of Florida. In her spare time, she enjoys writing and reading romance novels.