Style > Beauty

Five Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Need for the Fall

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

As we say goodbye to our hot girl summer, fall is the chance for us to invest in our skin and amp up our makeup a little bit more. From body care to makeup, these five black-owned beauty products are all you need for this upcoming fall.

1. Topicals “Like Butter” Hydrating Mist

As the temperature falls, we have to keep our skin hydrated, and what better way to do that than with Topicals “Like Butter” Hydrating mist? The soothing body mist features green tea extract, ginseng root and rhubarb, which can be used on the face and body alike. It can be used on sunburns, heat rashes, chafing, peeling tattoos, to restore dry skin and is safe for eczema. Topicals was founded by 24 year-old Olamide Olowe in 2020, who happens to be the youngest Black woman to raise over $2 million in funding. Struggling with hyperpigmentation, pseudofolliculitis and skin inflammation issues herself, Olamide decided to create a brand that she wishes had when she was younger. Topicals can be found on their website and at Sephora.

2. The Lip Bar “Glow on” Blush

The Lip Bar “Glow On” Blush is the perfect shimmer that can be seen from far away, mask or not. With this type of blush, you can dab on just a little or pile it on without it looking cakey. The Lip Bar was created by Melissa Butler to create affordable access to vegan and cruelty-free products made for diverse skin tones. Despite being denied any funding when she was on Shark Tank, The Lip Bar is now sold in stores.

3. Ami Cole Skin-Enhancing Tint

Ami Cole’s skin-enhancing tint amps up your natural complexion. This satin finish adds a soft glow to show your skin at its best! Whether you are in a state that gets really cold in the fall or not, this skin tint has enough hydration to last you throughout the day. Founded in 2019, Diarrha Ndiaye wanted to create a clean no-makeup makeup beauty brand that celebrates inclusivity.

4. Fenty Skin “Butta Drop” Whipped Oil Body Cream

People normally forget to include their skin when they talk about beauty, but as we approach fall, eczema and skin dryness are more likely to occur. Luckily, Rihanna dropped another banger to save the day! The Fenty Skin Body cream, which can be found at Sephora, is a refillable whipped body cream that features seven different types of oils from sunflower to jojoba to help nourish skin and instantly deliver luminosity. This body cream will make you feel like a million bucks, and priced at only $39, it is worth every penny!

5. Black Girl Sunscreen

Contrary to popular belief, cooler weather and heavier clouds does not mean sunscreen isn’t necessary. Not wearing sunscreen can cause sunburns, cause hyperpigmentation scars to worsen and accelerate aging. Infused with only natural ingredients like avocado, jojoba, carrot juice and sunflower oil, this sunscreen protects your skin but won’t leave a white residue, which makes it perfect to wear completely by itself or with makeup.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ananda York is a Floridian writer of Jamaican descent. She loves Fashion, Beauty, Social Media, and Entrepreneurship and is currently coming up with a way to combine all of those into a major.