pasta carbonara
pasta carbonara
Dana Sardina

Pasta, Pizza, Proeseco, Potluck: My Favorite Dishes from my Potluck Abroad

Throughout the tiny aisles of a local Italian grocery store, rolling baskets and clusters of people bump into each other as everyone hunts down the items on their list. As soon as all food items have been crossed off, customers wait in long lines until they finally reach the cashier who gives a friendly “Ciao!”. After experiencing the chaos of grocery shopping in Florence, students turn on their gas stoves and prepare to make home-cooked meals.

While studying abroad through FSU’s communications program in Florence, Italy, I stayed in an apartment with fellow students. During the five weeks, we created bonds I never imagined I’d make. We traveled the country, tasted the fantastic food and wine unique to Italy, and immersed ourselves in Italian culture together.

Inspired by the wide variety of meals originating in Italy, my roommates and I hosted a potluck at our apartment in the Ciompi Residence. We invited our new friends from the communications class and spent the night dining together in our living room, singing and dancing under the huge fresco on our ceiling, and chatting about our recent European adventures.

Here are just a few of my favorite dishes from the potluck!

Pecorino Cheese and Honey

As an avid honey admirer and cheese lover, learning about this combination put me in a state of awe and excitement. I never imagined two of my favorite foods blending so well together. The freshness of the food became apparent in every bite.

It’s all natural and organic and avoids the use of anything processed, which makes it delicious,” said Sofie Guisasola, who brought this dish to the potluck.

Spicy Spaghetti with Arrabiata Sauce

Sitting at the dining room table, we moved on to the main course, spaghetti, and things started to get a little rowdy. With Taylor Swift’s Love Story playing in the background, we began to sing along. As the song progressed, anticipation built, and at the chorus, everyone jumped out of their seats and danced to the tunes.

We went beyond just being a class and had a whole friendship [cultivate] between all of us. We all came together and shared a huge meal like a family,” Kristen Rodriguez said.

Cannoli Dip

In an attempt to create her favorite Italian dessert, Angela Christiano struggled to construct the popular cylindrical shape. After a disappointing first result, she opted to mix all the ingredients together and form a dip. This creation tasted even more delicious (in my opinion) than the classic form of the treat.

I wanted to keep the dessert Italian, and so a cannoli was just that,” Christiano said.

Along with providing a huge dinner for a living room full of students, this potluck helped my classmates and I grow closer and bond over food, wine, and music. In fact, it turned out so well that we planned more for the future.

FSU 2021
Her Campus at Florida State University.