Pacing Yourself Through Finals Week: Tips and Tricks

The semester may be almost over but the real work and studying are just beginning. As we go into finals weeks, there are many things you should consider when pacing yourself and trying not to run out of mental energy along the way.

You\'ve got this letterboard
Emma Matthews DIgital Content Production

Remove any distractions from your study space. Having distractions around you, like a phone, is not going to cut it when you are cramming for a test. As someone who gets distracted very easily, I try and leave my phone in a different room than from where I’m studying. If you don’t trust in your willpower, give your phone or any distractions to a family member or friend. Study in a space away from your room. I always have a hard time studying in my relaxation space. I would suggest getting outside or creating a space where you can easily focus on your task.

Take some snack breaks! Try setting a studying goal and then rewarding yourself with a little food. I find that when I have had something to look forward to, like food, it makes getting to your goals easier and motivates you throughout the day. Do not splurge only on junk food though. Make sure you grab some fruit or an energy bar in order to keep you feeling full and your mind sharp. In addition to this, get plenty of sleep. It’s easier to focus when you are well-rested.

A desk with a computer, notebook, and tea
Nick Morrison

Take notes that are organized and easy to read as well. When you take notes, think about the information you are writing down. I find that I retain knowledge a lot easier when I write facts down but only if I am actually paying attention to the material and writing it down in my own words. When you take notes, use colorful pens and highlighters to keep everything organized so you can look back quickly to see important information.

Study throughout the week leading up to your exam. Too many times I have waited until the very last day to study for something important and then cannot retain all of the information while testing. Keep in mind that the most immediate projects and tests, the ones due first, should take priority. Other priorities to consider are studying for classes that you need to step up your grade for. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses in a class is vital while making sure you have enough time to study everything. Once you know what areas you are stronger in, you can spend less time reviewing that and more time working on what you are not understanding.

Don’t forget that grades are important but your mental health is important too. If you are struggling to understand your assignments or testing material reach out to someone you know can help you. This could be a teacher, a tutor or even a friend in your class. Even studying with a group from class can answer more questions than you would think in a short amount of time. In my past experiences while studying for tests, explaining and discussing testing materials with classmates helps you retain the information better.

This time of the year is stressful but there are so many things to look forward to after it’s over to use to motivate you. Sleeping for one is something I like to do when the work part is over. Give yourself a reward for working hard and giving it your best during the semester!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Literature major at FSU. Lover of Pinterest, books, a good cup of tea, and Disney.
Her Campus at Florida State University.