Out With the 50, in With the 100! What to Look Forward to in Walt Disney World in 2023

With immersive attractions and seamless operations, Walt Disney World (now over 50 years old) has made countless unforgettable experiences for families and friends all around the globe. The Orlando theme park is one of the biggest employers in the state of Florida and is a highly popular attraction for tourists, contributing significantly to both the Florida and U.S. economy. However, with a big company comes constant big changes. Disney has changed a lot over the past year, from numerous ride construction projects to even a change in the CEO. Let’s take a look at what Disney magic the company has up its sleeves for this year, and what is first on my to-do list for my next Disney trip.

Walt Disney World’s 50th-anniversary celebration began in Oct. 2021, and the long-running commemoration will continue through March this year. They really spoiled us! WDW 50 gave us incredible shows, special park statues (my favorite being the Rocket and Groot statue in EPCOT) and an extensive line of exclusive merchandise.

Now that WDW 50 is coming to a close Disney is gearing up for the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company (the exact date being Oct. 16), which presides over all Disney theme parks, products, and brands (such as Pixar, Marvel and National Geographic). Disney themed the celebration “100 Years of Wonder” and has already rolled out some wonderful Disney 100 merchandise for us Disney fans, including a special popcorn bucket I’m intending to get my hands on. Disney doesn’t only have merchandise planned for 100 Years of Wonder but also new Disney+ content, park snacks, park character outfits and more!

This year, a major change is underway: Splash Mountain has permanently closed. The ride was based on the movie Song of the South, an old Disney movie from the 1940s which has been considered racially problematic. It is now under construction for a new movie theme: the Princess and the Frog, meaning Princess Tiana is getting a place in the park. The new ride, named Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, will have the same track as Splash Mountain despite the theme changes and will open in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland in 2024. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Also in Magic Kingdom, prepare to power up your Lightcycle for the new TRON ride opening in a couple of months! Appropriately situated in Tomorrowland, the thrill ride is expected to be the most popular attraction upon opening. Construction for TRON Lightcycle Power Run began before the pandemic and people are anxiously waiting to ride the futuristic thrill coaster. The official opening date has been set for April 4. The canopy lights finally turned on for the ride this week!

The Boardwalk is getting a major addition. Located a short walk from EPCOT, the Boardwalk is popular for rainy days consisting of several resorts, restaurants and shops. A new location of The Cake Bake Shop will open right on the Boardwalk later this year. This Indiana-based bakery and restaurant has a French influence, serving delectable sandwiches, desserts and cocktails. The Cake Bake Shop already has two successful locations in Indianapolis, providing “an extraordinary and whimsical experience” for guests. With the intended fairytale and whimsical theme, The Cake Bake Shop will fit right into the Disney atmosphere. I think it will be a perfect ending to an EPCOT day.

Inside the parks, saddle up because Hollywood Studios is getting a new Toy Story-themed restaurant. Woody’s Rodeo Roundup BBQ will be situated in Toy Story Land. This family-friendly table-service restaurant will be full of Toy Story characters, toys and good ol’ American BBQ. I’ll probably make a pit stop here after using up all my energy to beat the daily high score in Toy Story Mania!

A few other things to watch out for include Animal Kingdom turning 25 on April 22, perfect timing for an Earth Month celebration! EPCOT Festivals: International Flower and Garden Festival (March-July), International Food and Wine Festival (July-November) and the International Festival of the Holidays (November-December). Additionally, Mickey and Minnie Mouse will celebrate their 95th birthday on Nov. 18!

With all these new things, I am more than excited to plan my packed post-semester Walt Disney World trip down to the hour! Disney 100, see ya real soon!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube

Adrienne is an FSU graduate from Ellicott City, Maryland, with a Bachelor of Science in marketing and a minor in business analytics. She is returning to FSU in the fall to pursue an MBA while working as a graduate assistant for the College of Business. She also sings and plays cello for the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More. Some quick fun facts about her: she is ambidextrous, enjoys cliff-diving, and wants to visit every U.S. National Park. Adrienne is also a Disney adult in the making, always keeps up with anything related to Walt Disney World, and visited the theme park six times last year!