The Oscars 2021: What’s Different This Year, Nominations and How To Watch

When are the Oscars?

Mark the date, April 25 is this year’s 93rd Oscars’ Academy Award Show. Things are going to be looking a little different in the Dolby Theatre this year, however. Due to the pandemic’s current situation, the show will be filmed in front of an empty theater in Los Angeles and premiere to households across America. The show, which will air live on ABC, was initially scheduled for Feb. 28, but moved back due to COVID. The official time hasn’t been announced, but the awards show has premiered at 7/8 p.m. Eastern years prior.

Where can I watch it?

You can watch The Oscars on cable on the ABC network channel or by streaming the show on ABC.com. You can also watch with a Hulu Live TV subscription or a similar cable streaming provider. If you’re living in Florida State residency, like a dorm, you have access to Xfinity, which you can watch cable through by going to Sandbox and logging in with your FSUID.

academy award oscar
Photo by Engin Akyurt from Pexels

What films are eligible?

Due to the nature of 2020 and the slowdown in production and distribution, especially considering that most of 2020 theaters were shut down, the Academy Awards extended the dates for film eligibility. According to the Academy Awards website, this year, The Oscars will honor the best films released between Jan. 1, 2020, and Feb. 28, 2021.

When do nominations come out, and what movies should I watch?

Official Oscar Nominations won’t be announced until Monday, March 15, but here are the eligible films up for nominations this year in the animated, international and feature film categories. These films are based on leading critic and audience ratings and recommended by Variety, IndieWire and many other film review sites.

Twenty-seven features are eligible for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category, but only five will be nominated.

Animated:

1. Soul – Pixar
  2. WolfwalkersAppleTV+/GKIDS
  3. OnwardPixar
  4. Over the MoonNetflix
  5. The Croods: A New AgeDreamworks

International:

93 countries have submitted films that are eligible for consideration in the International Feature Film category for the 93rd Academy Awards.

1. Another Round (Denmark)
  2. Quo Vadis, Aida? (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
  3. La Llorona (Guatemala)
  4. Two of Us (France)
  5. A Sun (Taiwan)

Feature Films:

Over 500 are nominated, but these are the top contenders agreed upon by multiple sources, so watch out for these films to be nominated for several categories such as Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor/Actress and Best Actor/Actress.

1. NomadlandSearchlight Pictures
  2. MinariA24
  3. Trial of the Chicago 7 – Netflix
  4. Promising Young Woman – Focus Features
  5. One Night in MiamiAmazon Studios
  6. News of the World – Universal Pictures
  7. Judas and the Black Messiah – Warner Bros.
  8. Sound of Metal  – Amazon Studios
  9. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Netflix

graphic of person handing another person an oscar
Photo by Mohamed Hassan from Pixabay

Despite the difficulties of the current health crisis, talented and hardworking film crews created and released many great films this year for us to watch. Many of them are available on streaming platforms, so look into the movies on the above lists and watch the ones that interest you the most so you can root for them at The Oscars on April 25!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Elena is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Media Production and a minor in Film Studies. She spends her free time "studying" movies and television and laughing at Tik Tok's at 3 AM. Currently, Elena hopes to do another Disney College Program after graduating and aspires to become a screenwriter and eventual producer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.