An Open Letter to the Wives Who Lost the Love of Their Lives

I was inspired to write this open letter due to the passing of Ermias J. Asghedom (aka Nipsey Hussle) and Kobe Bryant. Losing a loved one is one of the painful things you will experience in life. It made me reflect on how life is precious. As a woman, it’s devastating to lose someone you thought you would live the rest of your life with and grow old together. To the ones who are hurting, know you are not alone.

To the Grieving Widow,

You are a strong woman. Life is tough right now, and it doesn’t seem fair that you lost the love of your life. You wonder to yourself, why me? What did I do to deserve this? You didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not your fault. I hope the last time you saw them you felt content. You told them that you loved them. If you didn’t tell them “I love you,” then know they felt it in their last moments.

The pain you’re feeling feels like it will never end. But with time, you will heal. Take as much time you need to grieve. You don’t need to explain yourself to people. You don’t need to tell people when you will feel better. You don’t need to pretend that you’re okay when you’re not. Surround yourself with people who are supportive and love you. Who are there for you in your dark time. But know that even though you lost someone you loved, there are people who love you and want you to feel better. 

But remember that negativity and loss in life can be turned into positivity because you’re not the first person to feel this and unfortunately you won’t be the last. One way is creating a foundation in something your loved one was passionate about. This will help people who also feel the way you do.

You will look back at videos and pictures of you and them together, and wish they were here with you. But know they are looking down at you from above. Life is tough right now, but so are you. It may be dark, but that doesn’t mean it will stay like this forever. Don’t give up hope. You will find beauty in life again.

If you lost a loved one, you can call the National Hotline of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-800-662-HELP (4357). 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Musammat Uddin is a senior hailing from West Palm Beach, FL. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Religion. When she isn't in class or working, you will find her running around campus with involvements in Student Government Association, LADIES, Women Student Union, and South Asian Students' Association. When she isn't a busy bee, you will find her out with her friends or in a coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.