One Hundred Years of Hope

Courtesy: FSU School of Theatre

This past weekend the FSU School of Theatre held it’s opening night of One Hundred Years of Hope. The play explores race relations in two major periods: 1965 and 2015. The play also has characters speculate about where the conversation of race relations will be in the year 2065.  Devair Jeffries and Deb Kochman collaborated to create the script based on interviews they had conducted last spring. The subjects of the interviews were aged 18-25 during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s or aged 18-25 in 2015 and of varying ethnicities. 

The play was a triumph of speech and music, art and dance. It begged the question, “how far have we really come?” in terms of equality, opportunity and responsibility. Although we still have a far way to go, the fact that pieces of art like One Hundred Years of Hope exist show that there is so much passion behind creating a better America and a better world. Congratulations to the cast and crew!

Her Campus FSU Staff Writer Junior // Creative Writing & Communications Travel/Tea/Theatre Enthusiast Follow me @ShutUpSkyler
Her Campus at Florida State University.