Olivia Rodrigo Is Getting Her Debut Album, Just Like She’s Always Talked About

The star of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, Olivia Rodrigo, has announced the name of her much-anticipated debut album! Rodrigo had already confirmed that an album was on the way, but it was not until April 13 that she announced its tracklist and title on her social media accounts. The album is titled SOUR and will feature eleven original songs and will be released on May 21. 

Rodrigo took the internet by storm a few months ago when she released her debut single, “drivers license,” which currently has over 635 million streams on Spotify. This success is in part due to the song’s presence on the popular video app TikTok. The song, which is rumored by fans to be about her co-star Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter, reminds people of a young Taylor Swift. However, this comparison is not surprising since Rodrigo is a self-proclaimed “Swiftie” or fan of hers. In fact, Swift recently sent Rodrigo a handwritten note and a copy of the ring that Swift wore while writing her fan-favorite album, Red. In addition, when Swift released her most recent album, Fearless (Taylor’s Version), Rodrigo and another young artist and fan of Swift, Conan Gray, were sent some of the songs before they were released to the general public. The two stars made a couple of TikToks featuring their self-proclaimed “mom’s” rerecorded music that went viral. 

Piano with blue and pink lighting
Photo by Gerold Hinzen from Unsplash
“drivers license” is not the only single from the album to have already been released; “deja vu,” released earlier this month, has reached over 34 million streams on Spotify. The song, which was written in a day, is quite different lyrically and musically from its predecessor. However, they do give some insight into what we can expect of the album as a whole. They show that the album will not be solely ballads, which is what Rodrigo wanted when she picked the songs for release. 

In an interview with Zane Lowe in an Apple Music Interview, Rodrigo said that “It was really important to me and to my team that we didn’t just put out another ballad after ‘drivers license.’ You know what I mean? We wanted to show that I am a very versatile songwriter, and I love all different types of music, and I create all different types of music … And so, yeah, it was sort of just a natural progression, I think it’s a nice introduction to all of the other things that I can do.”

The tracklist for SOUR is as follows: “brutal,” “traitor,” “drivers license,” “1 step forward, 3 steps back,” “deja vu,” “good 4 u”, “enough for you,” “happier,” “jealousy, jealousy,” “favorite crime” and “hope ur ok.” When Rodrigo announced the album’s tracklist and title, she also released the artwork, which features Rodrigo with stickers on her face and her tongue sticking out with letters spelling “SOUR” on it. This artwork is along the same lines as the aesthetic that Rodrigo has created with her first two songs’ releases and promotions. 

Fans can pre-order the album on vinyl and cd on Olivia Rodrigo’s website. There is also merchandise, including box sets, hoodies, crewnecks, t-shirts, shorts, socks, sweatpants and tank tops for sale. For more updates on merchandise, SOUR and future music, people can follow Olivia Rodrigo, @oliviarodrigo, or her official fan account, @livieshq, on Instagram. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.