toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

With slightly cooler weather, pumpkin spice flavored goodies popping up at our favorite stores, and the first few days of October behind us, I’m sure everyone is looking forward to attending some great fall and Halloween themed events happening around Tallahassee. The Tallahassee Museum, well known for its state of the art and immersive “tree to tree” zip-lining experience, has altered a few of its main attractions and incorporated a few new ghoulish adventures, themed around the spooky holiday. 

This upcoming Wednesday, October 8th, will be a full moon. What better way to spend the night than swinging over a cypress swamp on a zip-line? The Full Moon Night Zip will be offered from 7:30 to 11:30 pm. You can experience this fun and frightening adventure for only $49.

For the health nuts and fitness buffs out there, what better way to spend a Sunday morning than with a calming yoga session? Take a break from the group exercise classes offered at the Leach and attend “Zoo Yoga” on October 12th from 8:45 to 10:00 am. During the hour, you will be participating in a comforting and soothing stretch session amidst Tallahassee’s natural beauty.

Every year, the Tallahassee Museum holds a “Zoobilee,” each one with a different theme, for guests ages 21 and up. Patrons enjoy live music, catered food and an open bar. This year, the Groove Merchants will be performing, and some great restaurants like Madison Social, Marco’s Pizza, The Cake Shop, Genghis Grill, Grazie’s Artisan Pizza, and more will provide yummy treats to munch on. The tickets for this event are $40 if you purchase them in advance, or $45 at the door. I would recommend getting a group of 10 or more of your friends to attend, and you’ll receive a discounted group rate of $35 per person. All of the proceeds from the event support the Tallahassee Museum’s conservation and education fund, so it really is for a great cause.

If you are interested in experiencing more of the museum’s wildlife, the staff is providing a Night Prowl Tour on October 18th.  The museum will be open after hours, and the staff will take guests on a guided Wild Florida Trail animal encounter tour, where you can experience all the nocturnal creatures housed at the exhibit. 

The celebration culminates on October 24th and 25th from 6-10 pm with the 19th annual “Halloween Howl”. This event has something for all ages! Families with younger children will be able to explore a less spooky exhibition trail, as well as “Ghoulish Games”. Everyone will have an opportunity to participate in trick-or-treating on the museum grounds, as well as in games and a costume contest! Tickets for this event are $12 for adults and $10 for children, while museum members receive a $2 discount on ticket prices.

The Tallahassee Museum is also offering opportunities for student groups and individuals to volunteer to help out at all of these events. Make sure to check out their website for information on how you can become involved.

For more information and to inquire about purchasing tickets, you can visit the Tallahassee Museum website: http://tallahasseemuseum.org

Images courtesy of the Tallahassee Museum.

California native, Kaylah Jackson is currently a senior at Florida State University where she is majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Her passion for sports, women's health and social issues coupled with her love for writing inspires her to pursue a career in television journalism. Make sure to keep an eye out for her on a national news network in the coming years! When she isn't brainstorming for her next story idea, Kaylah enjoys working out, binge watching The Office and attempting to get her friends to incorporate kale and avocado into their daily source of nutrition.
Her Campus at Florida State University.