Heather in her COVID-19 gear (M95 mask, gloves, shield, robe)
Photo by Heather
Career

The Nurse Whose Care Never Stops

Her Campus (HC): Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Heather (H): My name is Heather, and I work as a nurse in a New York City hospital institution. My fiancé and I moved to New York from Florida in August of 2019. I attended the University of Florida for three years where I received my bachelor’s degree in nursing. My fiancé began medical school last fall, and in October of 2019, I began working as a nurse at a New York City hospital institution. Six months later, I was put on the frontlines and became part of the COVID-19 unit at the hospital. When I am not working, I enjoy exercising and cooking in my New York home in the Queens area.

HC: What was a challenge as a frontline worker in one of the epicenters during the pandemic?

H: The scariest part of being a nurse during the pandemic was how we did not know how to treat the virus. We knew very little about the complications and how bad people could decline. I did not expect the lack of supplies, and we did not know what we were doing. It was a matter of gearing up with masks, face shields, a gown, gloves and going into a patient’s isolation room without truly knowing how infectious this virus truly is. Now, we have been able to test treatments on people, and those patients who have survived from COVID-19 are more aware of what this virus is truly like.

Personal picture of Heather taking a selfie with COVID-19 protective gear
Photo by Heather

HC: What has been a blessing?

H: For me, I have realized that we learn to appreciate our time with our loved ones. As someone whose family lives in Florida, I am not able to be with my loved ones often. Yet, I have learned to value the people in my life. I saw how patients went through this virus alone and how they were unable to have visitors in their rooms. Thus, this experience not only made me more appreciative of those in my life, but it also made me want to be there for those patients who were struggling.

HC: What was something that you did not expect?

H: I did not expect people to be so appreciative of my care as a healthcare worker. Before, it was very rare for patients to say a simple thank you; yet, those who had COVID-19 were more aware of the situation and realized the versatility and power that nurses have. As a nurse, we spend more time physically next to the patient’s bedside, and we are constantly with the patients. Our work definitely takes an emotional toll on healthcare workers as we are not only handling our own emotions but the emotions of our patients as well. To this day, we have received an outpouring amount of gratitude, and I am very grateful for that.

HC: How is the situation different now in comparison to how it was six months ago?

H: In New York, I have definitely seen a tremendous turnover especially in the month of June. Our state was in quarantine for the longest time, and we did not reopen until June or July. Recently, indoor dining began operating at 20 percent capacity and even hair salons just reopened in June. Although cases are going up, we are not as worried because we are more prepared for what is to come. New York was hit pretty hard, and we understand the gravity of the situation. In New York, it is impossible to stay isolated as we are constantly using public transportation.

Generationally, it is different for those who are younger and in college. I went to the University of Florida, and I have seen my senior friends tailgating and they do not seem very concerned. Although I understand why they are acting this way, the virus is very serious, and patients can easily take a turn for the worse, regardless of age. I realized the value and importance of preventative health. Diabetes and obesity are the underlining pandemics of the U.S., and they really can make Coronavirus worse for the patient. I have seen patients who have these underlining conditions, and they have died or been put in critical care. It is frustrating to see how people take the situation lightly especially when they do not understand the severity of the virus. It would be really hard if we had to relive this trauma. I do not think people understand how zipping up a body bag can change a human being. Seeing someone alive versus seeing someone dead can really change you. Nothing weighs heavier in my mind than that.

HC: What do you hope for in the future as someone who works in the healthcare field?

H: I do not think there is ever any planning we could do to prepare for something like this. People are upset that we were so ill-prepared. Yet, economically, there was no preplanning to meet our hospital needs. My hope for those who are in medical school is for them to have some type of disaster plan that they can practice. Working in the healthcare field is more than just making good money. I hope healthcare workers in the future are flexible, and they are willing to go into this field knowing that they are risking their lives every day. As a nurse, the care never stops.

Personal picture of Heather holding stethoscope
Photo by Heather

Huge thank you to Heather for allowing me to interview her and sharing her story with all Her Campus FSU readers. We thank you and all healthcare workers for their courageous commitment to patients and public health.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.